1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advent calendars

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Dec 1, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Have you got one? If so what is it like?
    Mine is the Country Life one...............it's the front cover of the December issue every year.
    I've not opened today yet as I was runnig late this morning, but can't wait to see what is behind the door.
    I love advent calendars!

2. BelleDuJour

Me too. But my own grown up children and pre-teen stepchildren see chocolate as the only advent calendars!

3. The child has one. A Moomin one brought over from Finland (not chocolate - I don't think they're 'proper' advent calendars...)

4. When my children were young we used to have advent candles - I was obviously a rotten mother!

5. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Proper advent calendars, from Germany, with a line through the 7, lots of glitter to fall off /make a mess, only Xmas images and a double door for 24 showing a nativity scene.

6. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

They're still good. Even better none of them involve Barbie or other licenced images.

7. BelleDuJour

I've had advent candles (as well as calendars!) but also used to make an advent crown as inspired by Blue Peter. Mind you, mine did not hang from the ceiling nor involve wire coathangers, but it was pretty and I loved making it every year.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Love German Calendars (but then i'm kind of biased that way! [​IMG])....and I always write a 7 'crossed through'...and door 24 should have a double door with a nativity scene.......but absolutely NO glitter! I loathe the stuff! I can'y open a Chritmas card if it has glitter on! I leave it and go and scrub my hands!
    Advent candles are another problem....I only ever use battery operated candles - and they don't burn down! But I have an advent wreath and light (switch on!) one candle on each Advent Sunday.
    I absolutely cannot stand those dreadful 'countdown' calendars which have 31 doors to take you through to the New Year!

9. I have a playmobil advent calendar. I had one last year too - they are fab as you get to build a wintery scene!

10. JR thats fab! I want one.
    Lucky me I have two as I bought one prematurely and was then sent one. Both chocolate, I think I'm probably a different generation to the other posters in this thread - I didnt realise for years that non-chocolate ones existed!
    Weirdly when I was in America I never saw chocolate calenders, you would think they would be big on them being comercial and involving food. But no.

11. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

We have 12 playmobil advent calendars that have been lovingly packed away over the years and are now up on every available space on the stairs. We also have a felt one with pockets (a decoration velcroed on each day) that I made when the children were small, a musical tree that you add a decoration to each day and a wooden box with carved figures numbered on the back that you put on the shelves of the box to tell the Christmas story. The latter was made by my Oma and means an awful lot to our family.
    The children are also sent the card type calendars by their God-parents each year and we have an advent candle. It's a wonder that we ever leave for school on time during December!

12. We have a snowman hangy thingy with little bags into which I have placed sweets and chocolate.
    I forgot about it this morning so had to nip home and sort it before getting littleman from nursey.
    I told him Santa left for him when he came to check that he is being good.

13. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

We have 3 advent calendars and and advent candle here.
    2 calendars are picture ones (a goose and sledging teddies today) and the other is a fabric one of the nativity you can reuse every year.
    I had the nativity one in my bedroom this morning when my daughter (aged 4) came in and was talking about the different characters, she then went downstairs to see her 5 year old brother who came rushing up a few minutes later saying "M says you've got baby Jesus in here- have you?" making it sound as though I was holding the infant Christ hostage!

14. Just me in the house so I have my own iPad app advent calendar... every day I get a free app...

15. Ooo I had forgotten about this - have just downloaded the iPhone version - thank you!
    When the boys were little my mother made a fabric advent calendar and filled each pocket with a tiny gift - she did that once and then after that it was my job it cost a fortune and in the end I decided it wasn't sending the right message about the season to be jolly and all other things rhyming with holly. I wasn't popular the first year but they soon got over it...I asked Dance minor (18) if he wanted a calendar this year and he looked at me as though I had crawled out from under a rock...Dance Junior however (24) has just phoned to ask why I didn't put one in the post for him!