1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advantages of using supply teachers on long term basis?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Bluelamb, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Bluelamb

Bluelamb New commenter

Please can people share their thoughts on the following.
    I am new to Headship (Jan 19) and have inherited an existing staffing arrangement.
    My school currently employs a teacher through a supply agency 1 day per week which is planned to be for the whole academic year.
    As I’m on half term now I can’t ask my business manager why we are using this model.
    My thoughts are that we should either advertise this post, or put this person on a one day a week contract, which would save the school a considerable amount.
    Can anyone think of advantages for keeping this person on supply?
    My business manager is typically very astute around the school budget!

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

presumably there would be a massive finders fee?

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Reasons to keep them on supply:
    They could want to stay on supply.
    They would need performance management and have a right to CPD if on contract.
    You don't have to pay them if they're ill.
    If they're not performing to your standard, you don't need to give notice.
    You can deploy them wherever you want.
    You don't pay them in the holiday.

It is a pain sometimes but can also work to your advantage, especially if you run into financial issues as this person will be the first to go and a cheaper alternative would easily be found.

Until you've settled in, I'd keep it the same so you can see exactly how this is working out.

simonCOAL likes this.
  4. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Yes. The best advice. You are very new.
    Gather information, as you are doing here. The best people to ask are local colleague HTs. Once you have a clear picture, then act.

I say this as someone who changed a few things in the early days of headship only to find out why my predecessor had arranged them as she had.

I’m sure you’ll find a resolution.

And... congratulations! Good luck!

5. Bluelamb

Bluelamb New commenter

Thank you for your replies. Very good advice.
    I'm finding the TES community quite invaluable at the moment!

sooooexcited likes this.
  6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Get your SBM to give you the ongoing costs (ie including pension and NI contributions) for a permanent member of staff compared to long term supply. Then decide which is the best option.

I used long term supply for one day a week when I couldn’t find a suitable candidate for the role. You might find the recruitment issue a problem but until you advertise then you won’t know.

The “finders fee” is also an issue and a conversation with the agency might well be a good idea.