1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AdvancED

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by the hippo, Jun 12, 2011.

1. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Who or what is AdvancED? Are they supposed to do international school inspections? What is an AdvancED inspection like? How long do they go on for and what sort of things do they look at?

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Never heard of them before today, but a quick google search found them. Seem to be American.
    Accreditation, not inspections. I don't see why an overseas school would work with them instead of one of the more established accrediting bodies like CIS.
    http://www.advanc-ed.org/schools

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

One suspects it is another outfit wishing to give accreditation where more established bodies would fear to tread.

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Originally the NCA (North Central Association) and SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) who did a lot of accreditation visits
    They took over from CITA (Commision on International and Trans-Regional Accreditation) and are mainly aimed at American type schools (although anyone can apply for accreditation)
    Visits are very stringent and include interviewing Admin, teachers, parents and students.
    The amount of paper work needed is quite daunting.
    After the initial inspection, a report is issued to the school listing anything that they think needs to be addressed in the school. The school must then ensure that the recommendations are dealt with in a timely manner.
    Re-Accreditation visits are every 5 years

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

My school was accredited by SACS some twenty years ago. Very stringent as BFG says and very useful as it left the Board with no option other than spend the money we (SMT) had already told them they needed to spend.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Ahh... SACS.
    That makes sense. Good reputation. I rescind my musings about why a school would choose to work with AdvancED.