1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advanced Skills Teachers

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by leadlearner, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Do these have a big impact in your school? What type of things do you get them to do? Do you find they receive the necessary training or already have the skills to develop others? (I know that they are outstanding teachers) Any advice appreciated on how they might best deployed and what has been successful by Line Managers and of course, ASTs. I am aware some are LA funded or whole school funded. Thanks for any helpful thoughts.

2. I was an AST and now assess them, so I've seen a fair few of them. AST is regarded as an alternative to headship so s/he should already have most of the skills to do various things such as :
    • Running training courses for large and small groups of teachers
    • Observing lessons including coaching and mentoring
    • Running demonstration lessons
    • Writing materials to improve teaching and learning, for example by writing a monthly newsletter and helping staff to share good practice in the school
    • Helping teachers to understand data to plan. Helping SLT to use data effectively
    • Establishing links with other schools where good practice exists and referring staff to them.
    The AST standards already make assumptions that the AST can do all of these things; not just teach exceptionally well. Training opps for ASTs are fairly rare but there are one or two national conferences every year. Where they are used well, HTs put a lot of trust in them and give them many responsibilities.

3. In our LEA training for ASTs is better than for average teachers. There is some question marks over the future of ASTs

4. Guys thanks for these messages - really useful.[​IMG]

5. You can probably find a list of ASTs in your area, see if you can contact the people there and find out more about the specifics and how they would apply to you.

6. Thanks Sideshow your posts are always useful [​IMG]