1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advanced Skills Teacher

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Michy84, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I would really like to become an advanced skills teacher. At the moment I am a primary teacher in my 4th year. I was wondering how other people that already do this role find it? I have looked at what an advanced skills teacher does and how to apply but I would first need to persuade the head to create this role for me. Any advise on how I would go about this would be greatly appreciated? If I were allowed to apply for this role would I then be an aspiring AST and have to collect evidence for my file? Would the school have to fund all of my pay rise?
    Sorry for all the questions!
    Any support would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks.x
    mich.c@btinternet.com

2. Hi all,
    I would really like to become an advanced skills teacher. At the moment I am a primary teacher in my 4th year. I was wondering how other people that already do this role find it? I have looked at what an advanced skills teacher does and how to apply but I would first need to persuade the head to create this role for me. Any advise on how I would go about this would be greatly appreciated? If I were allowed to apply for this role would I then be an aspiring AST and have to collect evidence for my file? Would the school have to fund all of my pay rise?
    Sorry for all the questions!
    Any support would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks.x
    mich.c@btinternet.com

3. Think carefully as the AST role is not certain to continue - then again it hasn't been scrapped yet. Think about applying for the SSAT lead practitioner role in the mean time. The school or the LA would pay for your pay rise. If you are only on M4 then you would move to the leadership spine and would not be guarenteed another payrise... where as if you stay on the main scale you can go right up to 36k... if you got AST at 32k - it might be a good payrise now, but if the funding was pulled you might go back to M6 from the leadership spine. Your pay and conditions would change too and you would be expected to work outside the school one day per week. Talk to your head and find out who the AST coordinator in the area is and talk to them too. Personally I would find an alternative career path