1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advanced Skills Teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Michy84, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I would really like to become an advanced skills teacher. At the moment I am a primary teacher in my 4th year. I was wondering how other people that already do this role find it? I have looked at what an advanced skills teacher does and how to apply but I would first need to persuade the head to create this role for me. Any advise on how I would go about this would be greatly appreciated? If I were allowed to apply for this role would I then be an aspiring AST and have to collect evidence for my file? Would the school have to fund all of my pay rise?
    Sorry for all the questions!
    Any support would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks.x
    mich.c@btinternet.com

2. Hi all,
    I would really like to become an advanced skills teacher. At the moment I am a primary teacher in my 4th year. I was wondering how other people that already do this role find it? I have looked at what an advanced skills teacher does and how to apply but I would first need to persuade the head to create this role for me. Any advise on how I would go about this would be greatly appreciated? If I were allowed to apply for this role would I then be an aspiring AST and have to collect evidence for my file? Would the school have to fund all of my pay rise?
    Sorry for all the questions!
    Any support would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks.x
    mich.c@btinternet.com

3. Hey - I am in the role and love it. It can be very demanding work when you are on outreach in another school and have a short time scale to make an impact - but that's what keeps the job exciting.

Yes, you would need to discuss with your head first. He/she needs to fill in a big part of the application so you would they would need to be satisfied that you meet all the standards. The job can be funded by either the school or the LA, if it's the LA then your school does not pay your pay rise - the local authority does and this way is more common. However, you would need to contact the AST co-ordinator of your borough and find out if they have vacancies or not. If all of that gets the green light, you need to fill in the application form, making sure you have evidence against all the standards stated and that you can back all of this up with a folder on your inspection day. You need evidence for every standards.It can take quite a while.

Once all of this is done and you feel ready for the inspection you can go ahead and send it off and you get a very intense inspection day, in which a decision is made.

Hope this helps.

Do keep in mind though, with funding shortages LA's might have money to fund an AST. Also, there are current talks about the future of ASTs, as far as I know the role is staying but for new AST's the standards and pay spine may be changing with some other changes to come soon.

4. Thank you so much for your reply. I will try to contact the AST Coordinator. x