1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advanced algebra

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by PlymouthMaid, Nov 13, 2011.

1. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Hi Maths peeps,
    my son in law needs suggestions of good websites/books to use for revision of advanced algebra for a course he hopes to do. Could anybody point him in the right direction please? Many thanks in advance.

2. DM

DM New commenter

Could you give us some idea what you mean by advanced algebra? What are his existing mathematics qualifications and what is the course?

3. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Agree with DM, any more information you can give would be helpful.
    In the meantime - some of the links in this post may be useful.
    The shared notebook mentioned includes several university departments who have made support materials available for all.
    Khan Academy has an extensive video collection.

4. PlymouthMaid

I believe he means 'A' level standard. He is applying to do a Masters in Engineering and wants to brush up his knowledge. Thanks for help so far - I wil pass the links on to him.

5. DM

DM New commenter

Is it algebra he needs then or trigonometry and calculus?
    Without more information, I think Khan Academy might be his best bet as it will cover everything he may need.
    http://www.khanacademy.org/
    He could work through all the Engineering videos and worksheets at MathCentre:
    http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/courses/

6. PlymouthMaid

Many thanks, I will pass this link to him x