1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advance Australia Fair~ Celebrating Australia Day 2011

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by nedkelly, Jan 24, 2011.

1. From our humble beginnings as a convict settlement in 1788, to becoming one of the great countries in the 21st Century, we have much to be thankful for and to celebrate on this day. January 26 is significant for all aussies, a day when we acknowledge the true spirit of what it is to be an Australian, from our nation's humble and tentative birth, to today's dynamic, progressive and truly egalitarian country, of which we can all feel proud to belong.
    Among the many activities and events on this day, some will seek the beaches, some the backyard BBQ, others will just sit and watch the Aus Open (Tennis) or witness the aussies beat the Poms in one day cricket!! A great day for family and friends to get together-of course, there will be the obligatory beer and prawns!!
    Sadly, the day is also a day of remembrance for the victims of the recent and tragic Queensland floods. This disaster cost many lives, destroyed countless properties, and will have a substantial negative impact on our economy for years to come. But we will survive, and come back even stronger and with even more pride in our great nation.
    So to all you expat aussies in international schools the World over remember your country well, and have a great Australia Day!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Beautiful! [​IMG]

3. ..enjoy 'Ane' , and all you other OS aussies!

4. 'notyet' is 'ane'?
    ane's English wasn't good enough to be an Ozz. 'notyet''s is better...
    Why do people do that?

5. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

We do indeed live in a wonderful place and we will be getting together for our traditional neighbourhood breakfast. I do however, recognise that to our indigenous brothers and sisters, this day is not regarded as a cause for celebration and I would like to also acknowledge their feelings about it as well.
    FOr those of us who are celebrating on Jan 26, Happy Australia Day and for those not, a vote of empathy and gratitude for sharing this amazing country with us.

6. Yep..Advance Australia 'Fair'. And so too for all those Australians who are not Anglo-Celts.
    You talking to me commie ***.
    But I still love my country.

7. 'We' (not me) watch the Sound of ******* Music at special, periodical moments.
    Will you 'cobbers' be watching Mick Dundee or 'Don's Party'?

8. It was commie w&g.

9. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Mmmmm, such a choice FP but my daughter and I will be spending the afternoon in air conditioned comfort watching 'The King's Speech'. So sorry to disappoint.
    notyet, to use a good old Aussie phrase, I have no frigging idea what you are talking about.

10. That's because you're not a w<strike>o</strike>g. I find the term quite funny now. In fact, thank goodness I am a w<strike>o</strike>g. Nevertheless, my mother still thinks it's hurtful but she too loves Australia and wouldn't live anywhere else. I would. Latte anyone.
    Anyway as I said, Advance Australia Fair and it must and will. Afterall it's a very young nation.
    No offence/bitterness meant just reminiscing. Isnt that we do on Australia Day?
    Aupa Australia! Eta Gora Euskadi!

11. I am looking forward to that film too..
    As for this ane/notyet mix up, I don't know..
    I only have the one name - many adjectives, but only one name. But happy to apply those adjectives to others of course.
    [​IMG]

12. Golly, notyet is ane.

13. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

No I'm not, but I'm an honourary ***! I went to school in the Leichhardt and then Petersham area. My closest friends from childhood are all either Greek or Italian. When I was in high school, we used to walk home from the bus and I would always stop at my friend's parents' shop and have an espresso with Nonna Giuseppina. Happy days.

14. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Ah, on re-reading your post in context notyet, I do have a frigging idea what you are talking about! My friend's mum was pregnant with her and had a toddler when she came to join her husband here in Australia post WWII. When she had my friend in the hospital, they wrapped the baby up and she was trying to ask them if the baby was a boy or a girl. The nurse's reply? "Learn how to speak English and we'll tell you." Unbelievable, incredibly poignant but sadly true.

15. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Great OP, Ned, and generous of you to include the image of poms wasting good booze.
    I hope the celebrations will give an impetus to the nation's effort to recover from the floods, a task which will need aussie matey togetherness rather than bickering about class and ethnicity.
    It would be nice if Australia Day also caused your boys to 'take their eyes off the ball' in that one-dayer, but I fear it will only make them redouble their efforts.
    Inexplicably, I have not received the customary invitation to the Australian Embassy's Jan 26th bash, usually a highlight of the school year, held in a downtown hotel with mountains of prawns and gallons of beer. I shall retaliate by not allowing them to use the school grounds for this year's Anzac Day barbecue, and will consider a formal letter of complaint to Sir Lester Patterson himself.
    Nonetheless - from this pommie, who first got God's Own Stamp in his passport at Tullamarine in 1974, greetings to aussies everywhere, whatever the shade of your skin or your politics.

16. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

You must be losing your charm Dude! We are coming to Europe at Christmas time. My first foray back since 89 and my daughter's first trip. Won't be in the UK around that time by any chance will you?

17. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Ned, you bloody crawler! I just noticed that photo of the pommie cricket team. How could you!

18. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Too early to know, yaz, but if so, we will brave the snow and third world transport system to meet up.

19. Because they are smiling - the Ozz one wouldn't be..
    Is notyet Ane? When a punter is asked if they are two people, they always ignore the question so I can only assume the answer is yes.