1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Adults in outdoor provision

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by aandyr123, Nov 30, 2011.

1. aandyr123

aandyr123 New commenter

Hello,
    I am new to EYFS (reception) this year but have really enjoyed my first term.

I hope this is not too sillly a questions and that people do not think that I should already know this, but do I need to have an adult outside with the children at all times. due to our situation I can only have freeflow outdoor provion in the afternoons. Do i need to have an adult outside with the children?

Thank you

Andy

2. aandyr123

aandyr123 New commenter

Hello,
    I am new to EYFS (reception) this year but have really enjoyed my first term.

I hope this is not too sillly a questions and that people do not think that I should already know this, but do I need to have an adult outside with the children at all times. due to our situation I can only have freeflow outdoor provion in the afternoons. Do i need to have an adult outside with the children?

Thank you

Andy

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Do you have a nursery nurse or TA? Not all EY2 classes do. It must be massively frustrating to have an outdoor space but nobody to patrol it.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

<strike>Patrol?</strike> Whoops. I'm sure that's the wrong word! [​IMG]

5. I don't think it is as cut and dried as 'yes'! The outdoor and indoor are all part of the EY envoirnment and you have a ratio for this environment so depending on how many children are indoor and outdoor if there is only one of you then you will need to consider where you are needed the most. You may decide that if you are on your own there will be times when you are all outside and the inside is not on offer in my experience children love these times it is the adults hwo don't! You will of course have a risk assessment for your environment and how you can meet the needs of both indoor and outdoor with only one adult!

6. teacherof30

teacherof30 New commenter

Well I don't know the legalities, but we have an outside area right outside my classroom, with big glass doors overlooking it so they are visible at all times. We allow 6 children out there without an adult. HT happy with this. The children quickly come and tell us if there is an issue!

7. I would definately say yes.
    When EYFS first came out xxx years ago, we all hastily rearranged our outdoor space so that it was accessible for children. Looking back it was very poor, but it's what we did with what we had.
    I used to send 1 group out at a time and didn't have an adult out with them. Then the unthinkable happened and a child's mother came storming into the school saying that a child in my class had asked her son to pull his pants down and had then done bad things with her son's genitals. Guess what - it happened outside.
    I had no idea this had happened - or indeed if it happened. All I knew was that the boys were in the same group.
    Needless to say, I have never ever ever again allowed any children in my outdoor area without adult supervision.
    And add to that, it would HAVE to be an adult with a CRB that had been done by the school you are currently working in.
    So much red tape, but you need to protect yourself and the other children in your care.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Any quiet corner can lead to errmm, undesirable activities, be they outside or in. We had the Great Nursery Hairdressing Scandal in 2008.

9. I teach reception and don't have a TA in the afternoons (have a class of 16 children) so I don't really have the luxery of an adult outside all the time and still have free flow.
    We have a small gated area (water, sand, chalk board) that the children can access outside at all times, which I can't from inside see because of the shape of the classroom. The first few weeks I insisted on an adult being out their while training the children to use the sand and water trays safely and sensibly but now I let the children out their own. As a previous poster said, the children are very quick to come and say if something is wrong.
    Ideally, an adult outside all the time would be good to scaffold play and make observations but if its not possible, its not possible.

10. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I have the same issue really and although I have an adult with me in the classroom it is difficult to have continous outdoor provision and although the HT wants the doors open all day it isn't possible to have the children out there and support outdoor learning. In addition to this, our outdoor area is shared with FS2 and Year 1 and we have set playtimes too.
    I am going to try and set up the sand table just outside the doors, with an easel for chalking and a few other activities underneath the sheltered area. My plan is to allow 6 children in the outdoor area and have a system where by children will put the photos on to a board if they are outside. I will give each 6 children 10-15 minutes outside and frequently check the outdoor area. This is the only way I can have 'outdoor' provision at all times.
    I think it might be best for you to have time outdoor as a whole class if it is possible, unless something similar to what I'm about to try is possible.

11. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Since nobody seems to know legally, your probably best off to get in touch with the early years advisor in your county. At my school we always have an adult outside, but then we share that area with the nursery, so we split it across the 5 adults.

12. Same at my school. Unit with Nursery. Outdoor open all day but shared between 5 adults.