1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Adult Education - moving from ALAN to Functional Skills

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by aw27, Apr 29, 2012.

1. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Have you considered EDI?

2. doscat

doscat New commenter

I have, I thought their assesment window opening 12 days after requesting papers was almost the answer to our prayers but then I heard they are being taken over by Edexcel so I decided to wait and see before taking it further.
    I should add that we don't have the IT resources to opt for online ondemend.

3. doscat

doscat New commenter

There seems to be some movement on this. There is a group forming in London to discuss the change over and to share information about providers. I will post any relevant info I find out if people are interested.
    Also, Acentis are thinking about developing 'alternative qualifications' to FS that would be fundable.

4. I work in a similar situation, and we've gone with NOCN. Exams are nicer to look at, good fonts and very visual compared to c&g. English can be split into three separate exams Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing. So not one big exam. Just one exam for maths. Flexible too when requesting exam dates. Not sure on funding as we're lucky to go for what is good for our learners rather than department budgets etc.

5. Edexcel and C&G both break English up into 3 separate elements - in fact I was under the impression all providers did as that is how the specifications are laid out...

6. ...and I so wish they had kept the Reading and Writing exams together (they did in the very first pilot) and made it so that you had to use what you had taken from the Reading texts to inform your writing instead of getting you to make stuff up to be able to write enough!!!! Not very functional in my opinion.

7. I think that the one exam board offering this will be inundated for the Autumn term...

8. doscat

doscat New commenter

OCR and C&G have mentioned in their blurb that will be bringing out 'alternative qualifications' in time for September and I know that Ascentis are at the planning stage for the units so at least there looks like there will be some choice!

9. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I think I'm being very thick, here (probably, it is Friday afternoon, after all...!) But what are you referring to when you mention 'Units'?

10. How interesting - I was unaware of C&G having launched any yet - where as OCR definitely have held a launch (last week) I believe.

11. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Ah, thank you for that - googled it and found nothing!

12. We use OCR and have always found them to be best for our very flexible programmes. They will also have online from next year.

13. doscat

doscat New commenter

Mmm looks like C&G are going with a portfolio based approach and mapped to the Adult Core Curricula. Would prefer tasks or assignments to portfolios but I wouldn't mind a look at these...

14. Do you have links you could post?

15. doscat

doscat New commenter

Unfortunately, I can't find a link for OCR's offer and Ascentis are still at the drafting stage but here is C&G's link to their blurb:
    http://www.cityandguilds.com/74819.html
    You have to scroll down to the pdfs near the bottom of the screen.

16. doscat

doscat New commenter

On a different note, what are you using for your IA? We have been using the BSA one for several years now and I have thought of adding a free writing section to get an idea of the level of writing but I'm aware that the BSA IA is very vocabulary/spelling heavy and is aging a bit. I have a set of BKSB diagnostics to use but the centre we have can't cope with new fangled online IA come DA that seem to be on offer, the IT simply can't handle it.
    Any suggestions for a paper based fit for purpose Functional Skills initial assessment?

17. doscat

doscat New commenter

Mmmmm no word from the awarding bodies about when the alternative qualifications will be available. I mean it's not as though term starts in two weeks. Whilst I'm whinging, why extend Entry ALAN for 1 more year when many adults need two years to complete Entry qualifications? I have the feeling that the adult learning sector isn't really understood by those funding it.
    Just heard that all alternative to FS quals are to under go a full scrutiny and external review.

18. Where does it announce that the new quals are under a full scrutiny?
    Thank you.

19. doscat

doscat New commenter

I received an email to that effect from Ascentis:

20. EDI are the best... Functional skills are a joke