1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Adult Community College Job Application

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by humbug, Jun 15, 2020.

1. humbug

humbug New commenter

I have been out of the classroom for many years but feel drawn to this post which would give me some extra part time hours and a chance to speak to a few more adults. So I'm doing the application, but just want to check I'm on the right lines and am in with at least a slim chance.

I am a qualified secondary teacher, but as I say, it was a while ago. I am contacting the school to see if someone can provide a referee as I assume this would help, even though so long ago. I'm also aiming to give a referee from my GCSE exam marking, which I do each year. I'm hoping this will help prove I can work as part of a team and have admin skills too. I also do private tutoring, but I think the earlier referee ideas might carry more weight than parents or older tutees?

I've read on here that a lot of teachers returning to work after a long break don't have much of a chance unless they get some recent supply experience, but is that different for adult education? I feel in this job my life and people skills may count a bit more, as will an ability to be fairly resourceful and proactive. There also seems to be a standard hourly rate, so I think the usual things about places wanting younger applicants so they can pay them less may not apply.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions. I posted a more specific referee question on the job seekers section but have had no replies maybe because this is a bit of a different category.

2. iyrinat

iyrinat New commenter

Sorry I don't have any useful advice, I just wanted to say Good Luck and any referees that are willing to speak about you in glowing terms would be great

3. humbug

humbug New commenter

Thank you for this. It is all coming together a bit more now, although the referee stuff is stressful. One had passed away, I discovered.