1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Adult:Child ratios?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by primaryteach87, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Would like some clarification on what the ratios are for a mixed Reception/year 1 class. We have 16 children of whom 8 are year 1 and 8 are Reception. What staffing do we have to have and what qualifications do they need. I hold QTS, does my TA have to hold a level 3 qualification? Our current TA does have a level 3 but we are looking to recruit a new TA for next year.

I have looked at the EYFS and it seems that if I had all Reception children then I have 1:13 ratio (why is it different from in the maintained sector!!!) and then have 1 other TA who must be level 3. Does this apply in the same way if I only have 8 reception children mixed with 8 year 1s?

Thanks in advance!

2. boatmanco

boatmanco New commenter

Hello

The ratios for indie schools are now the same as the state sector so its 1:30 in a reception class (with a QTS teacher) with the assumption you will also have a TA.
    Your class sounds fine -having a TA is great with a small class like yours.
    If I was looking for a new TA I would always try to get someone with NVQ3 as it is a requirement from Sept 2011 I believe.
    Good luck!