1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Adult ADHD?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by honeymarmalade, Dec 5, 2015.

1. honeymarmalade

honeymarmalade Occasional commenter

has anyone experienced this - I wonder if I might have it, to be blunt. Someone asked me once and I wonder if it might explain scattiness and inability to concentrate. Or is it one of those things that doesn't really exist.

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Presumably, if a child has a diagnosis of ADHD, it remains when the child becomes an adult.

I guess the difference is the ability to manage the challenges it brings.

3. honeymarmalade

Yes, but I mean, has anybody ever been diagnosed as an adult without having been diagnosed as a child?

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Not personally, but I do have a close relative who is going through the process of being diagnosed with autism. In many ways it was something of an open secret but it's certainly helped me understand and adjust my expectations.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Quite a few as some people became adults before accurate diagnosis (or even any diagnosis) was common

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think signs are missed by schools though I find this shameful. I do know of a friend of my son's who received a diagnosis when he went to college.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Isn't 'ADHD' rather less of a condition that one has got (or hasn't), but a linear spectrum upon which we are all positioned at different places? The decision to say that pupil x or pupil y is 'ADHD' is a matter of judgement, and may not be very obvious in most cases (though totally obvious in a few).

That needs to be carried out by those who know them best - parents, primary school teachers (who see them for many hours a day), but secondary teachers who may see them, as one of 30, for an hour a week? That would be a diagnosis based on a poor evidence base, I'd say.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Surely, parents would notice- and health professionals are the ones who make a diagnosis.

I taught one six year old whose father was so convinced that he had ADHD that he took his son's medication. I think he did have it and hadn't been diagnosed as a child. There must be adults with undiagnosed ADHD, just as there are adults with undiagnosed autism. Even 20 years ago, it wasn't recognised as frequently as it is today.

If you're concerned, go to the GP and ask for a referral. Do you think that a positive diagnosis would help you?

Domfog likes this.
  9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Perhaps it is just my experience (which may be a bit unique ) in that most students with ADHD had already been identified by the Associate schools. The influx of boys with ADHD prompted us ( mainstream secondary with high percentage of social deprivation) to have a specifc action plan in situ just for this co hort to address underachievement. I wrote this up as a casestudy in response to 'The Unseen Child ' and it has been published - a question of policy into practice if you will and advice to others on how to tackle if faced with similar situations.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

as a point i have a 'friend' who i think has problems due to his behaviour and life style.If such folks are diagnosed with such problems mentioned are they helped in our society,,,,even as say a disabled person might be recognised?

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I sometimes wonder if a proportion of those with this type of label (and there are many such labels) are genuine.
    We seem to live in a society where bad/different/unsociable/and other abnormal behaviours must have a label and in consequence an excuse for the benefits gravy train, when in real terms they are just lazy/indifferent/aggressive/selfish/........

12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I think there's a difference between someone saying their child has ADHD to excuse bad behaviour, and someone going through the lengthy process of getting ADHD formally diagnosed, and the presentation of symptoms being severe enough to warrant any kind of benefits.

13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Important that all evidence considered and professional judgement exercised so that those students affected by ADHD and their families are given the best support mechanisms and ' lifelines' . Yes from experience there were some parents who used to approach school to tick box access to some sort of disability benefit but from memory these were few and far between. I am not sure how much our input contributed to the allocation of additional funding.I hate the notion of labelling in any context. When training the staff we used to talk about difficulties being signposted and then advocating best practice to accommodate. Of course no two students with ADHD necessarily presented with the same characteristics - easy to see why those affected are judged to have 'complex ' needs.

14. honeymarmalade

I don't know if I have it, or not, I think definitely not sometimes then I think, I must. Have something.

15. david_border

david_border New commenter

Sorry for the rather late reply.... I was searching for something in the forums and found this!

Please do feel free to message me about this.

16. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I'm aware that this is a very old thread, but thought it was interesting considering I watched a documentary on BBC2 about Rory Bremner and his journey through the process of being diagnosed with ADHD as an adult. Worth a watch if you're interested in the aetiology and presentation of this condition.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  17. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Yeah, I watched that. I don't think I agreed with some of the stuff coming from one of the experts but that could have just been how they presented it.

And it's deffinately the sort of things that's life long and always needs managing. My dyslexia didn't go away just because I'm an adult now.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I have self-diagnosed. Impulsive at the wrong times, poor sleep, inability to concentrate, need to do something else instead of what needs doing now, forgetful of tasks that have been given me and inappropriate behaviour at times despite knowing that it isn't a good idea.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Rory Bremner's programme highlighted neurological deficits and genetic predispositions.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  20. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Just watched the Rory Bremner programme-it is very interesting.