1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Adopted from care'

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by welshwales, Sep 5, 2019.

1. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Can I ask you all for some clarification on information I should provide to a parent regarding this part of the 'pupil premium spend? Parent is asking for a breakdown of what exactly her child personally has received from the spend of monies, and as her child is in KS2 would like the hot meals to be paid for from this budget.
    I was under the impression that for this 'group', I was not obliged to provide this ..and is the request for the hot meals to be paid for reasonable? On the basis that educational performance in the afternoon may improve having had a hot meal? I'm guessing it is, but just need some definitive advice.
    Thanks in advance for any clarification anyone can give me..

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Surely the answer is that her child has received Nil personally from Pupil Premium spending? PP is income the school receives to improve disadvantaged pupils’ academic attainment overall isn't it? Not allocated on a per capita basis to all disadvantaged pupils.

There are already free school meals for lower income parents, why doesn't she claim that.

I'm a chair of governors not a head but my inclination would be to point any parent to the information on your website about how PP is spent and not provide anything more.

3. welshwales

Thanks, Rott..she is not actually 'low income' and says that the Head of Virtual schools in our area has given her the opposite message, which is difficult. But I believe as you, that I'm not in any way bound to provide any more info than on our website...
    Thank you for your response..

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It sounds like she has misunderstood PP and thinks that individual pupils are somehow entitled to "their share" of the school's PP income.

I'll be interested to see what others think, but I'm not sure what she's asking would be a permissible use of PP money anyway. I wonder if the virtual school head actually said that, or whether she misunderstood?

welshwales likes this.
  5. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

welshwales likes this.
  6. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Is this child currently IN care. If so, the Virtual Head is right, as the money will go to the VS, and only be released when PEPs are agreed...

If its a post LAC, then I am sure that you can demonstrate some individual spend. I was once asked this too, and when I documented the additional support the child was receiving, the parent was actually very surprised at just how much all of that cost. I would need evidence that hot-school meals was an effective INTERVENTION for the needs of that child to justify it.

It feels like this is an adoptive parent who views their £1900 as a gift to the school, to be spent exclusively on their child. But maybe the child does have needs that need addressing, and this is just their way into that conversation?

If post LAC and money is a struggle, there's a post adoption fund parents can access I believe?

Lattelady likes this.
  7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I thought it was meant to be for EDUCATION-things a parent couldn't reasonably be expected to buy. Surely feeding a child is something a parent should expect to do (with benefits/FSM for anyone in special circumstances).

8. welshwales

They are post LAC, have been for some years. I already provide support for the child to access lots of extra curricular activities since this is the area she really enjoys most and builds her confidence most- I help fund swimming lessons, keyboard lessons, all additional school activities are funded for her, she gets a uniform grant..the irony is that academically she is quite secure and although has some intervention, this is not an area of need..
    It's just I guess where I draw the line at individual spend/support...

cornflake likes this.
  9. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

So I'd just list those - as you clearly are providing what the child needs
    (and then politely refuse to buy lunch!)

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Spot on!

11. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

We had something similar from parents when we explained how a budget was constructed, unfortunately this was just after a news item about being able to choose how your maternity care budget was spent. They assumed that this would apply to the capitation rate we got for children, they were soon disabused of this...

welshwales likes this.