1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Admin or TA job in a school, dinner lady first?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mandyb1999, Feb 4, 2016.

1. mandyb1999

mandyb1999 New commenter

I have been told that the best way in to an admin or TA post is to be a dinner lady to get school experience, however the hours are only 1 hour a day and I need to do more than this. Is it really a way in and therefore in a year or so I'll be in a better position to apply for other jobs or is temping in admin a better option. I am returning to work after having children and have a degree and background in marketing.Thanks for your thoughts

2. Violalass

Violalass New commenter

Take a week's holiday and volunteer in a school (read with the kids etc).

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

By which numpty? As Violalass says, volunteer in a school first.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good gracious!

I cannot imagine that working as a Dinner lady (perfectly honourable job as it is) could possibly be part of a career ladder to an admin job in a school!

Volunteering with children, in a school, in a Cub or Brownie pak, would be much better.

You might actually like to try and see if there are any TA supply posts available through agencies, if you want a foot in the door.

Best wishes

5. mandyb1999

mandyb1999 New commenter

I have been volunteering each week for the past year at a school but when I applied for an admin role at the same school I was not even called to interview as had no 'school experience'. I asked how I could get it so it was suggested I get that through being a dinner lady. No positions available at time. Just want to clarify if I was being fobbed off or if worthwhile pursuing it...

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You were being fobbed off.

Nobody could possibly suggest that as a sensible route.

Best wishes