1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Adjusting your lessons to how the brain and memory work

Discussion in 'Science' started by martin_hurst, Jan 24, 2020.

1. martin_hurst

martin_hurst New commenter

Hi,

As the subect line reads. Any thoughts and ideas on how to do this? I work in adult education teaching Swedish to immigrants with a short or no education background. Their level of Swedish is low.

Thanks for your time.

2. BW12345

BW12345 Star commenter

Yes - this course:
    https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/science-of-learning
    I did it. Some of the others commenting were EFL teachers, who found it useful.
    Addresses long and short term memory and strategies to consolidate new facts etc.
    Debunks some of the old ideas.

They also talk about a number of techniques like flash cards and individual white-boards.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

After 30 years in teaching I must have had to adjust my teaching to how brain and memory are beleived to work about 30 times. Ranging from the plainly stupid, to the blatantly obvious. I would only say that there is no consensus, and the ideas change constantly, and nothing new is ever suggested, just old ideas are recycled again and again.

alex_teccy likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Bite sized chunks.
    Regular repetition of key points to embed them.
    Try and use a range of strategies for initial delivery and practice. Sometimes this last is called learning styles, sometimes it's called coloured hats.
    Little pauses between activities to allow processing time. If you let them doodle you call it cranial gymnasium activities.
    Billy Wriggle usually needed the full hour to move his brain towards readiness for learning.

5. martin_hurst

martin_hurst New commenter

Forgot to say thank you so much for your replies! Will check out Future Learn's course.