1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Adjectival phrases

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

So...I finally managed to grasp adverbial phrases...any idea about adjectival phrases please?

2. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Didn't want to let this slip onto the next page before the grammar people see it!!!

:)

3. An adjectival phrase (AP) is a phrase with an adjective as its head (e.g., full of toys). Adjectival phrases may occur as postmodifiers to a noun (a bin full of toys), or as predicatives (predicate adjectives) to a verb (the bin is full of toys).

Adjectival phrases give more detail to a noun. They can become arbitrarily long, and in some languages they tend to become quite complex.
    How is that?

4. An adjective acts as the head of an adjective phrase (or adjectival phrase).

At its most simple an adjective phrase can be a sole adjective.

More complex adjective phrases may contain one or more adverbs modifying the adjective 'intensly blue' (where blue is a colour) 'very weak'.

The may also contain one or more complements ("worth several dollars", "full of toys", "eager to please).

Adjectival phrases can modify a noun (come before the noun) and post-modify the noun (come after the noun).

They can become quite complex. I find David Crystal 'Rediscover Grammar' quite succinct without over-simplyfying but I'm sure others on the discussion board can recommend other resources.

5. I did these today with my Y3/Y4 class. I found Grammar for writing very helpful with some very good starting points for lessons.

6. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I have read similar definitions over and over again, but I just don't understand :(

Can anyone explain it to me in simple terms please?

I'll have a look in Grammar for Writing later - thanks :)

7. Adjectives usually describe the noun. an adjectival phrase is simply a phrase that describes and can come before a noun a bin (noun) is full of toys (full of toys is the adjectival phrase. A phrase is a group of words that functions as a single unit, full of toys describes the bin - it is not just full it is full of toys.

predicative to a verb - the bin is (is is the verb - to be)full of toys.

simply it is a group of words used together to describe. It is not a sentence as it does not contain a subject and verb 'full of toys' and does not make sense on its own.

8. oops, should have put after the noun :)

9. adjectival phrase is a group of words which describe a noun
    eg the boy with the loud voice - what's the boy like - has a loud voice.
    Use for effect or when a single adjective doesn't sound right - the loud-voiced boy

That's my take on it....

10. I'm with you jog on. I sort of understand some of the explanations here. I still don't understand what 'an adjective at its head' means.

I'm trying to teach this to year 6 at the moment, it's our 'could' target, but I'm struggling to get my head round it.

11. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

LGR22 - this is a target for our Year 4s too!

Hmm...think I'm getting there. I'm worried that the chn might find the difference between adjectival and adverbial difficult now though, as I'm sure there must be phrases that could be both adjectival and adverbial depending on the verb. Am I right?

Thanks guys - a lot clearer now, but the head bit still confusing me too!

12. adjectival and adverbial could sometimes be confused as they both describe. Adjective describes a noun and adverb describes how a verb is done.

At its head simply means at the beginning full of toys, full is the main adjective so full is at the head.

13. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

But an adverbial phrase could describe where the verb is done too. So the following two sentences contain the same phrase, but one is adverbial and one is adjectival:

1) The cat in the basket was lazy.

2) In the basket, the cat laid down and went to sleep.

Is that right? The first would be adjectival and the second adverbial!

14. think I am being dim now, where is your adverb? Have had a few gins:)

15. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

The adverbial phrase would be "in the basket"...wouldn't it? Maybe I'm just being completely thick!

16. are you taking in as the adverb?

17. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

No, the phrase "in the basket" (in the second example). "In" is a preposition, but an adverbial phrase can describe where something is happening.

Maybe I'm just being stupid...that's what I thought it was though, having re-read all of the last thread I started on this!

18. 'In the basket' describes where the cat is, not how the cat is. Therefore I think this is an adjectival phrase. There is no adverb in this phrase so, according to this discussion, it can't be a adverbial phrase.

19. asnac

asnac Occasional commenter

That's an impressive necropost - nearly 6 years after the topic went quiet.

A trip down memory lane. Jan 2008 was four employers ago for me, and the children I was teaching then are now in their first year of A-levels. Brown was PM, or was it still Blair at that point? And the primary forum was active.

Where does it all go?