1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ADHD

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Randaelk, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Randaelk

Randaelk New commenter

Hi All,
    Just wondering if you have any advice or strategies that you can share in regards to dealing with an ADHD child that refuses to complete classwork.
    Your input is appreciated
    Regards
    Randaelk

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I suspect more detail would help ? Year group, CAT scores, assessment data , subject, support mechanisms available, strategies already tried ,advice from SENCO or equivalent to date , info gleamed from chat with parents,

3. Randaelk

Randaelk New commenter

Hi! I appreciate your response:)

The student is 6 years old, I have spoken to mum and dad and we have been in constant collaboration. The child Psychologist has advised setting them a routine, having more hands-on activities and ensuring that he has 2 friends that they can bond with. Mum and dad have relayed that they try their best to get their child to complete tasks with rewards (extrinsically) but with minimal success. We are also having the same issue in the classroom despite differentiating work. Our school doesn't have a special needs coordinator, we only have a support aide on site per kindy class. He hasn't done a CAT test, rather, he has conducted a WISC assessment, where he struggles with verbal relayed information and has a slower processing speed than the other children/

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ahh I have worked with secondary ( 11 - 16 ) students so feel as if I cannot be of much practical use given your circumstances. I understand where the Ed Psych is coming from so I suspect kinaesthetic approaches, a buddy system and consistency are three things you should prioritise.Tempting as it maybe to try a variety of strategies better to heed the advice of the professional ? Glad that you are working in tandem with the parents. Armed with the information from the WISC assessment at least you can give him additional time to access tasks, provide opportunities for over learning and ensure that staff are using language consistently /checking for comprehension. Many children with ADHD have an additional complex need ( co morbidity ) so br aware of how these may manifest. Hopefully other colleagues will respond and offer better advice ? Good Luck

5. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

My first piece of advice ( and I’m sure you are doing this) is to develop a relationship with the child. A desire to engage with you, will be crucial to the success of any reward systems or behaviour plans.
    Consider his seating-either somewhere on his own or with good role models around him. Have minimal distractions on his table, give him his own resources. Table top barriers work well ( you can get portable ones with suction cups to stick on table) Chunk longer bits of work into smaller more manageable bits, with a short reward after each bit. Use timers to demonstrate expectations of tasks to be achieved. Build sensory/ movement breaks into his day. A personal visual timetable will help him to predict when his next break is coming which may support his concentration. As he has some receptive language difficulties, support his understanding of what you are saying with visual prompts and allow him time to process what you say and to process his answer.
    As he is only 6 I am assuming that much of his learning is play based, and these unstructured times can be very tricky for a child who is impulsive. His time will need to have structure to avoid problems. Again a visual timetable, with a choice of just 2 or 3 activities that he can engage in will be easier for him to manage than a whole classroom full of toys and games.
    Consistency between staff is vital, so I often write Response Plans:- How does the child behave when he is calm. What can we do to proactively reduce risk (ie meet and greet every day, help him put out his visual timetable for the day) what are our reactive responses- what will we say when the child’s behaviour escalates etc.)
    Reward charts may work, but you need to be very specific about the behaviour you are going to reward. Rewards should be quite easy to achieve initially, so that he can experience success quickly.
    I hope there are a couple of useful things here... Good luck!

minnie me likes this.