1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ADHD

Discussion in 'Personal' started by susanrk, Mar 28, 2012.

1. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of young children, recently diagnosed with this and given medication which doesn't seem to make any difference. I teach and went to the paediatrician last week with a lad and his mum. Lad can be lovely but clearly wants control and gets quite violent if he can't do what he wants. Paediatrician wouldn't/couldn't give us any advice about what works best and basically told the mum to give the medication as she thought best. I find this very hard to accept and was wondering what I ought to be reading or investigating that would help both us in school and his parents. He doesn't appear hyperactive either.
    Thank you.

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That's not my experience of ADHD at all.

3. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

Even reading all the information the paediatrician gave us, he doesn't fit much of the ADHD 'profile' but what can we do if that's the medical diagnosis?

4. 1) Get a second opinion.
    2) Go backl to the paedo with some evidence of which symptoms the sprog exhibits and which ones s/he doesn't.
    3) Get the parent into a parenting class.
    cyolba, following the three-fold path to enlightenment :)

5. If you don't feel that he has ADHD, I would push/ask Mum to push things with the paediatrician. There is a condition called Attachment Disorder and one of the symptoms for that is an excessive need to be in control of their environment and not having this control can lead to verbal aggression and/or physical violence. I used to work with a student who had this. He did have ADHD as well but his ADHD behaviours were very different from the ones related to his Attachment Disorder. i am not saying this is definitely what is up with this lad-for one thing, it usually affects children who have had a very traumatic background and have not had the opportunity to develop close bonds with their parents (the lad I knew was adopted after being abused for the first couple of years of his life) and I don't know if this would fit with your lad or not but, either way, if you don't believe ADHD "fits", ask Mum to get a second opinion. He doesn't want to be on ADHD medication if he doesn't have it either.

6. Some of his behaviour sounds to me like oppositional defiance disorder, this often seems to be diagnosed as ADHD.

7. Excellent answer daydreamer. I used to be a foster carer and dealt with many children with attachment disorder. Now I'm teaching I am seeing many children in schools that I would say have some form of attachment disorder with subsequent behaviours. Poor parenting in the very early days of a child's life can have a dramatic effect on them, they don't have to have been in care/adopted etc.

8. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

Really helpful- thank you. Who would we ask for a second opinion do you think?

9. What is the medication?

10. Educational Psychologist or try and get a referral to Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMS) if they still exist.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes they do, now called CAMH or CAMHS in the way that things change now for no reason.