1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ADHD - what is a reasonable adjustment?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by egyptlady, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Hi
    My son has behavioural problems, ADHD, Dsylaxia, and Social Behavioural Problems and attends Mainstream school. Since the age of 9 he has been on medication with lots of benefits, but the side effects are nasty. Hence now at the age of 12 he is not growing or putting on weight the same as his peers of his age, and his consultant has taken the step to stop his medication. What we have found is a company called Games for Life (www.gamesforlife.co.uk) that deal with attention training computer games to help my son focus. It has been tested and proven to work. It is a little bit expensive but worth every penny if it will help my son.
    Maybe it is something your school or specific child could look at. Hope this helps

2. Yes, I agree with egyptlady. I saw my brother go from one special school to the next; he was misdiagnosed with ADHD, when infact he has Asperger's.

Why should a parent be coerced into giving their children medication; these medicines can be damaging. Instead he should go to a school that is more properly equipped to manage his behaviour.

3. ADHD in a special school?? Exactly what kind of behaviour are we talking about? Has the mother tried any other kind of treatment apart from medication? Is he monitored by a professional? I would be asking all these questions before I would remove him from a mainstream school. Would the mother consider a trial period of medication as each child reacts differently? What kind of ADHD is it?

4. nearly_there

nearly_there New commenter

I work in a special school and we have many pupils with ADHD. Like autism there is no typical ADHD pupil. Some are more suited to a special school and some cope well in mainstream. We can't really generalise here. I would suggest that maybe you could work with teachers in your local special school who may have lots of experience of ADHD and could suggest some personalised strategies for this young man.
    If medication is really not an option for mum then you don't want to alienated her more by suggesting this is her only option for him. It's not right for everybody. Working with this pupil will be a lot easier with mum on side.