1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ADHD and xray

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by hhhh, May 24, 2012.

1. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Am asking this here as many of you may have some knowledge as teachers and parents, a woman at our group has a son she thinks has ADHD (not sure of exact age but he looks a good bit older than mine so would guess 5ish), and says that it can be seen on a scan or xray but that we don't do them in this country. As a teacher I should surely know about this but had never heard of it being picked up in this way, had only heard of psych eds disgnosing? Am I wrong? Woul dlove to pass on any info to help the family. Plus as a teacher maybe I need to update my own knowledge, I should know these things

2. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Am asking this here as many of you may have some knowledge as teachers and parents, a woman at our group has a son she thinks has ADHD (not sure of exact age but he looks a good bit older than mine so would guess 5ish), and says that it can be seen on a scan or xray but that we don't do them in this country. As a teacher I should surely know about this but had never heard of it being picked up in this way, had only heard of psych eds disgnosing? Am I wrong? Woul dlove to pass on any info to help the family. Plus as a teacher maybe I need to update my own knowledge, I should know these things

3. I teach special needs children, many with ADHD and I have never known of diagnosis through x-ray. MRI scans of brains to look at brain trauma / skull surgery but not ADHD which would be considered a psychological and chemical imbalance disorder.

4. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

I am 25 and have ADD. It is a chemical imbalance not something than can be checked with an Xray! You can do tests to check for it and she can get private help if needed. If you want any more information about the condition and its effects I can help. Message me.

5. The only thing I have heard of that sounds anything like an xray is that they have conducted studies using MRI's to see if those diagnosed with ADHD show different activity levels in certain areas of the brain when carrying out tasks etc compared with controls. From memory, the results do show differences in brain activation but they are certainly not conclusive and not used diagnostically. I don't think that from these scans could actually differentiate an 'ADHD brain' from a 'non ADHD brain', even when those people have quite severe symptoms. These scans are simply trying to see if there are differences and it is all quite rudimentary.
    I hope this helps x