1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Additional work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Bobitty, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Does anyone do any other jobs whilst on supply? I just have itchy fingers and toes I'm so bored of waiting for something that seems it will never materialise! I was hoping to get a job to do at the same time but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot for if I actually get offered some supply, so was just wondering what kind of 'additional work' people do? I was thinking about pub work but most pubs near me would require a 5pm start and if I was on supply far away I might not get back in time? Was trying to find work I could do at home in my own time...but i think this is just a pipe dream!

So....does anyone do another job and how do they work it?

2. look at peopleperhour.com. It is a website for people to bid on work - everything from doing a bit f shopping or gardening, to major professional projects. You might find something there

3. My agency also provides supply for nurseries/chilldrens centres so I asked to be put forward for some of that work as well, until the teaching supply starts to come in. Just missed out on some work for today as she phoned while I was driving in the car and as they needed to fill the work she didn't wait for me and phoned someone else!!!!!!!!
    Obviously pay rate is lower than teacher but who cares...it puts food on the table.

4. I did the unthinkable and accepted a day being a 'cover supervisor'...!!!! money is money though...

5. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I've been doing nursery work for my agency and got a couple of days over the summer holidays. As previous posters have said, the pay is not as good but when there's nothing else around it's money! My agency know I generally won't accept it before about 8.30 when teaching supply is around but when it's quiet they know I'm most likely to accept it at anytime.

eBay is worth a shot for getting a bit of extra cash, if you have anything around that you don't use/wear anymore and want to sell. You could always go around charity shops looking for things to sell on that are in good condition/designer. Worth a try.

My final bit of income come from selling Usborne Books as an Independent organiser by doing parties and stalls and I can sell to schools too.

6. helenemdee

helenemdee New commenter

Yes, I do other work. I do call centre work 2 evenings a weeks and Saturdays. I do get worried that I won't be able to get to my evening job on time when I'm on supply those days, so am changing soon to work 2 full days at call centre and do supply teaching 3 days a week instead. I have also just started private tuition and have a couple of clients who I tutor once a week in the evenings. I arranged the start time to be late enough that I would be sure to be back from any school I'd been to that day.

7. crusell

crusell New commenter

Have you thought about trying to develop ideas online. It's not immediate income, but this page might give you some inspiration and something to focus on.here
    Also have you thought about support work, depends where you live on the amount of work available, but you can sign up at social care agencies and work in childrens homes and support adults with learning disabilities. It pays as well as a pub job.

8. Thankyou for all the replies - that bid for work website looks quite good!!! What time does your call centre job start at? I think I'm going to search for something else to do at the same time - I can't stand not having a job and earning money!!! I've looked at tutoring too - think I'm going to do something about that today! Thankyou for all your replies :)