1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Additional pension/advice welcome.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by tolkien28, Oct 30, 2017.

1. tolkien28

tolkien28 New commenter

I am due to retire next summer and as I've been supply/part time teaching for the last 10 years I'm now looking at different ways in which I can boost my pension. I will take advice from Wesleyan when I get round to filling in the form, but for now can someone explain the advantages of taking out additional pension. I've been on the TPS website and used their calculator, which works out as a £4,900 lump sum to get an extra £250 per annum on to my pension. Would this be for a maximum of 20 years pay out? As I've said I need someone who is au fait with all this to explain it to me more fully.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

This would be index linked for life and you would also get 20% tax relief on the lump sum payment.

emerald52 likes this.
  3. aspen_1

aspen_1 New commenter

No idea of the answer to this one but I do wonder whether you would have to wait until 65 before you could draw on it though.

tolkien28 likes this.
  4. tolkien28

tolkien28 New commenter

Thanks for that info, extremely helpful.

5. tolkien28

tolkien28 New commenter

Yep, that could well be true. Will look into it fully.

6. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Talk to a pension adviser, Wesleyan is ok and first meeting is free. Sooner the better.

7. sci

sci New commenter

You need to speak to Wesleyan asap. Using pension payouts to buy more pension may be problematic. It is called recycling pension.
    You could think of the scheme as swapping savings for an income. If you can afford to put the money away now and will guarantee not to use it then the teachers pension system will give you the best payout
    Why not check out faster accrual while you are talking to the advisor. It may help more even though you are only doing it for a few months.

thistledoo and emerald52 like this.
  8. tolkien28

tolkien28 New commenter

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

9. tolkien28

tolkien28 New commenter

Will do. I need to get myself organised ASAP.

thistledoo likes this.