1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Additional In-Service Days 2019 - 2020 - Part Time staff

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by ks081, Aug 14, 2019.

1. ks081

ks081 New commenter

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me. Are the 2 additional in-service days to be pro-rata for p/t staff? It was nice and easy to work out previously with the 5 in-service days but I'm not sure what the deal is with the extra ones?

Any information appreciated!

2. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

In-service days are not pro-rata, you treat them like any other working day. If you are 0.6 for instance, you don't have to do 3 In-service days in a normal school year.

If these additional in-service days fall on days you work, you work them. If they don't, you don't come in. Unless your HT wants to pay you for an additional day.

Gavster77 likes this.
  3. teabreak

teabreak New commenter

I'm pretty sure that is not the advice from the SSTA. They previously recommended that a pro-rata no. of inservice days were worked and a pro-rata no. of teaching days.
    Maybe it's different now?

4. Effinbankers

I'm EIS and I've been told that you don't treat In-Service days as any different. They are just working days.

If you are part time working e.g. Wed-Fri, that's what you are contracted to, so why would you change your working days to take in an In-service day on a Monday at some point in the year?

There is nothing in contracts that specifies you must do a pointage of them.

5. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Effinbankers likes this.
  6. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Which is rather frustrating when the two extra days are meant to be used to reduce workload.

alexmurraybrown and bigjimmy2 like this.
  7. Effinbankers

We've at least been given the 2 days to do as we please. No meetings. Shocked!!

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  8. AyeRight

AyeRight New commenter

They are not extra days of work.

9. alanuk

alanuk New commenter

Hi,
    We are currently in the midst of a disagreement regarding this. Do you have any official source to support this that I can use?
    Thanks

10. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

'5. Additional In-Service Days 2019 to 2020 5.1 The SNCT agrees that 2 additional in-service days, to be held in academic year 2019- 20, should be provided to allow schools time to focus on key issues such as workload, additional support and empowering schools. Issues and activities for such days should be decided at school level and by collegiate process, although there is an expectation that opportunities for collaborative practice should be on offer from stakeholders such as Education Scotland, Local Authorities and the RICs.

http://www.snct.org.uk/library/2623/SNCT19-70.pdf

Glasgow City Council recently put out a directive to headteachers, shared by EIS with its members, which includes clear instructions like no training to take place unless it is in relation to reducing workload, no school improvement plan work unless in relation to priorities around workload and staff should be consulted on workload drivers and what they think they need to do to reduce them. It's also stated that the activities should seek to reduce workload in the long term, not just for the current session.