1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Additional Evidence Interview

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by corcaigh2016, Jan 11, 2017.

1. corcaigh2016

corcaigh2016 New commenter

Hi all,

I've been invited to an interview next week for an international school. On the invitation letter they asked that candidates bring any additional evidence that will display their abilities as a teacher. They specifically mentioned lesson observation/monitoring feedback or a video of me teaching.

I'm not currently working in a school and I no longer have access to my PMR records in my most recent school (which I left in July 2016). We were never allowed to video our lessons. Can anyone suggest any other additional evidence that I may be able to provide the school with?

How negatively will this affect my interview do you think?

Thanks.

2. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

I have to say it doees seem a bit odd as appraisal documentation is usually the property of the school and is confidential to the school. Do you have any parental letters of reccommendation (as opposed to full references). Maybe offer to teach a lesson if the interview is at the school? Otherwise just politely say that your last school would not give you the documentation., or that you asked for it but it hasn't arrived.

3. corcaigh2016

Thanks for your response! I thought it was odd too. I had considered asking my previous school but to be honest, I don't think they would be willing to give me that kind of information. They mentioned that there was "no need" for a portfolio- I thought portfolios were out of fashion? I haven't seen anyone bring a teaching portfolio to an interview in my time as a teacher. Am I missing a beat here? Is this more common in international school interviews than it is in the UK?

I'll have to take your suggestion and hope that it doesn't negatively impact my application too much.

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I've been asked to do this a couple of times in interviews. It's nothing out of the ordinary, but it's never been a focal point of the interview. I've been asked to explain the lesson for which I'm bringing the observation and state why I think I got the feedback I did etc. It's just an additional exercise to gain some understanding of your abilities. Don't worry about not having them. Just bring a few lesson plans etc and explain your predicament. As long as you can supply suitable references it shouldn't be a problem.

5. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

Surely you have the right to ask the school for your PM information and lesson Observation feedback, I keep all of mine (Well the good ones), just in case they are needed.

I'd contact your old school and explain the situation, if they refuse (Not sure why they would?), I'd contact your Union.

6. 576

576 Established commenter

I scan all appraisal and observation documents so I have my own soft copies.

7. fsmc

fsmc Occasional commenter

Any school asking for a video of me teaching would never be getting an application.

Would it even be legal (in the UK) to set up a video camera in the classroom and be taping away anyway, then sending said video to a third party? I somehow doubt it.

8. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

I know for sure that it isn't allowed in the UK school that I currently work in.

Is it usual to have a formal letter inviting to interview? I have one next week too but I just had an email pretty much saying 'go to this hotel at this time to meet this person'... is that a familiar scenario for anyone else?

Having only had face to face interviews in the UK for previous teaching jobs I am completely unsure about what to expect. The full day of gruelling tasks that a UK teacher's interview entails is at least a known evil!

Good luck @corcaigh2016 ;)

9. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

Email is pretty much standard, I've always found International interviews much more relaxed than British ones, always felt like more of a chat, maybe because they are usually in a hotel rather than a school, the questions won't be too dissimilar to a UK interview.

skeptucator likes this.
  10. skeptucator

Thank you @willow78 that's what I was hoping for

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Be perpared to answer questions about your partner. What will they do, how will they cope etc. Questions like this are quite common, especially if you have a non teaching spouce. Their happiness can have a great effect on you, and therefore your ability to teach, and your longer term prosects at the school. I have had one of my previous schools actually ask to interview my girlfriend. They spoke to her for over 20 minutes.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Although not really workable, a video of you teaching is a pretty good way of judging whether you'd be a good fit in a school. There is a massive risk when you employ someone with good references and a breadth of qualifications, that they simply cannot stand in front of a bunch of kids and engage them in their subject. Watching someone teach is a pretty good way of judging their suitability.

You don't have to film the kids, just have the camera pointed at the teacher and get a 10 minute snapshot.

13. fsmc

fsmc Occasional commenter

I'm fairly sure any school in the UK isn't going to go for it, even if you said you're only pointing the camera at yourself.

14. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I've known some have in the past but I guess its at the discretion of the head. The larger academies are unlikely to bother as there is probably some clause 1.4.3.4.5.6a in their child protection policy that prevents the sound of children moving chairs being recorded and it needs signing off by 4 different assistant heads and 3 deceased caretakers to be permitted.

I just reminded myself of why I don't work in the UK any more.

skeptucator likes this.
  15. skeptucator

Describes the situation here (in a large academy) perfectly @T0nyGT

16. corcaigh2016

Further to this, I've been preparing for the interview and a number of websites have suggested that one bring a portfolio with lesson plans, student work, certifications etc. included to the interview. This is not something that I have encountered before- is it an essential for interviews with international schools? As I've said, I'm not currently working as a mainstream teacher so examples of student work etc would be difficult for me to obtain.

17. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

This seems to have been exported to international teaching from the US - many of my American colleagues do this while none of my British colleagues do. I would just explain the legal restrictions in the UK on that and why it is not permitted - but bring along a lesson plan & resources just in case they push it and you can talk them through it.

18. corcaigh2016

Thanks all for your responses and advice. Good luck in your interview skeptucator! :)

skeptucator likes this.