1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Addition sums

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizdot, Oct 6, 2018.

1. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Goodnight caterpillar! You may be wine sozzled but you are not an idiot.

Yes, I am in a big sulk at the moment due to lack of a job!

Vince, thanks for your support:(

You can use a model without turning it into a method with any age group.

2. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Don't know if it helps but I've got my youngest's homework book here from her reception year. First bit of maths related homework comes in after the half term - explanation of using 10 frames to help count objects correctly, and just some blurb about how to help them count correctly and homework to draw in some form or other the set of objects (with an explanatory note about how it doesn't need to be an exact drawing and circles or sticks are fine).

First time we got anything addition related it was an explanation of part part whole models and to use a couple of plates and do it practically - but that was a fair way down the line. The homework we got was all practical like that and lots of "use some small objects" to do it. (Fair bit of whining on the playground about it all but that's par for the course - I reserve my whining for the words "make a model..." at the beginning of homework letters)

I've kept homework books because they recycle the homeworks every year and I can cheese the youngest's homework research by using the information from the oldest's homework the previous year to save me googling things up again. If I don't have to sit there finding facts again for the "research a country of your choice" one - bonus for me (obviously this wasn't a foundation stage homework)!

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Digoryvenn , what job are you looking for?

There's certainly no need for you to disappear from this forum , debate is good , sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't , it's very easy to misunderstand the written word , doesn't mean you shouldn't bother.
    Keep contributing whenever you wish , and good luck with the job hunting.

4. digoryvenn

Thanks grumbleweed.
    I am looking for a HT position. I have an interview next week.

Debate is always good.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

And I've spent much of the week in a sulk due to having a job!
    Lady luck can't win really. :)

Hope the interview goes really, really well for you.

digoryvenn likes this.
  6. digoryvenn

Thank you.

Are things any easier regarding workload?

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Nope...but I'm spending a fair bit of time in meetings discussing it! :confused:o_O:confused:

8. digoryvenn

I am sorry to hear that.
    I hope you find a solution soon.
    Catch 22- reduce workload, let's have meetings to discuss it, taking up more time!