1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Addition in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by butterflies17, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I'm new to all this and hope you can help!
    I teach reception and I always struggle with collecting evidence for calculating 4, and was just wondering what addition looks like in your classroom. Most of my children are able to complete a simple addition sum such as 2 + 3 = independently but I'm getting hung up on getting evidence for them doing it independently in the environment because they just don't use the language in play or show me that they can do it.
    Thanks

2. Have you looked at the examples in the handbook? Give children opportunities to combine groups in their play eg by having bowls and sets to sort, set up shops where they can buy for instance 3 oranges and 2 apples. You could model using materials like this to talk through adding sets together, then look out for it coming out in their play. One way round it could be to set up a role play school with number resources and sets etc available and see if they play teachers with them! Don't forget, as well, that 20% of evidence can come from adult -directed activities, so if you can't find evidence for some children you could do a focus activity and count it as part of the 20%.

3. Thank you, yes I've looked at the examples, and tried a few of your suggestions but just don't seem to be getting examples of the language independently. I usually use the adult led 20% but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas.
    Thank you :)