1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Addition and subtraction in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by caterpillar, Mar 14, 2017.

1. caterpillar

caterpillar New commenter

I've recently moved back to Reception after a few years teaching younger children. As I'm sure you are all aware, there seems to have been a big push on maths and adding and subtracting by counting on and back is now a requirement. I'm wondering what's meant by this and what you would look for from your children to be able to 'tick off' this goal. I have a class of bright kids, but still, the majority of them look at me like a loony when I tell them to put a number in their head and count on or back using their fingers, or something similar.

As I now teach in an International school, I miss out on things like those LA meetings where people discuss these things and decide what they mean, so I'd really value your input, and if anyone knows any useful links or anything on this, I'd love to have those too.

Thanks in advance...

2. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

We do lots of practical maths so would be for example park 20 cars. Four drive off, how many are left? Let's start at 20 and count back to find the answer. 20, 19, 18, 17, 16

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter