1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

adding insult to injury... Controlled assessment in MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by dj98, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Today, 29th January 2012 we finally got our written controlled assessments back.
    I have been waiting for these since September as our marks were seriously lower than anticipated and we did not get an examiner's report to justify or explained the marks.
    When I opened the package I was seriously relieved as I have started the process of assessment with Y10 and have already done 2 more in Y11. I thought that in the package I would get the answers to questions I have been asking Edexcel for month.
    Stupid me.... not one pen mark on the papers... not one line from the person who marked the papers.... i am not sure they even got read... I have to assume they did but eh....
    Has anyone else had their papers returned?
    Did you get any explanations?
    What did our school pay for? I wonder... It is like collecting a student's book and giving it back without any feedback... unheard of in the teaching profession.
    What feedback do I give the students now..... Sorry your papers were sent... you got given a grade but there is no explanations as to why you got that particular grade????
    Thanks Edexcel.... I can only say... Brilliant educational practice.....

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

The scripts I got back from AQA were annotated - but just with T1 and T2 (task 1 and task 2). Apart from a general feedback sheet, that was it. The feedback just made comments on whether we were considered lenient, severe or within tolerance. No real advice as to where or how.

3. Thanks for that.
    maybe I was a tad naive expecting some real feedback or even some comments on the scripts.

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I don't understand how written scripts can be "within tolerance"? After all, we as teachers don't mark them.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Exactly. Exam boards seem to forget we're paying customers.
    ... except when Ofsted comes to call.