1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Adding and Subtracting

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by NathanJHaley, Jun 5, 2018.

1. NathanJHaley

NathanJHaley New commenter

Hi All,

It's been a while since I taught reception, but I've landed an interview for the role. I've been asked to teach adding and subtracting to 20 for 20 minutes with 6 mixed ability children. What tips/advice do you have?

Thanks in advance

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

Addition and subtraction at the same time or can you choose one? We usually do one at a time and look at all the different strategies for counting on. Numbeine, 100 square, fingers/in your head and cubes ect.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Look at the ELG for number to see what the expectation is for this time of year .
    Think about what aspect you want to focus on.
    Think about other lessons you have covered that might help you develop an idea.
    Once you've got a broad idea , people here can help you tweak or give you pointers.
    Good luck.

nizebaby and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

A really interesting game to play is 'How many are hiding?' Have a set of objects, say 10 initially. Let the children count to confirm how many there are, then hide some. Can they work out how many have been hidden? They can use fingers, a number line or counters to help. Once the hidden quantity has been worked out and confirmed ask the children how we could record this. The children could also take turns to hide some. I like this game as it shows which children have a good grasp of cardinality and addition and subtraction. You could find out what their current theme or topic is and relate the objects to that, for example for a growing theme you could use beans or seeds hidden under a flower pot.

Good luck Nathan

nizebaby likes this.