1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Adapting the curriculum for a statemented child

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by maggieDD, Jan 12, 2012.

1. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

I (and the new head) are keen to adapt the curriculum for my 1-2-1 who has severe BESD, triggered when he is requested to do something he finds difficult. However, the class teacher is reluctant due to the amount of planning she thinks will be involved. As he has a statement and IEP would there necessarily be a lot of planning involved?

2. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

Are you a primary teacher?
    How well do you know what the pupil is already capable of doing?
    whether this will require much planning depends on exactly what you want to do. do you want this pupil doing the same work as everyone else but more scaffolded, do you want them doing different work or a mixture of the two.

3. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

I am an LSA. It is difficult to know how well he is doing because he hasn't ever completed the necessary assessments.
    He is capable in both numeracy and literacy, however he becomes extremely agitated and will use every task avoidance in the book. He has already been given options of drawing, or me scribing and he still makes excuses to get out of doing the work required. I feel he needs to be in utter control, and if he isn't he will announce that he is going to 'have a strop' and then do so until he has to be removed from class in case a child gets hit by a flying chair. Some days are worse than others, and I realise his mother's mental ill health are obvious contributing factors.
    An example; he needed to practise his spellings (writing on a whiteboard, which he detests) he usually requests a quiet room so I took him there and gave him the option of magnetic letters. He spent half an hour getting up, wandering around, not listening to me and we got four words spelt. So even with the lesson being adapted to his desires, he still didn't complete it.

4. Sounds familiar!
    http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/related-conditions/pda-pathological-demand-avoidance-syndrome.aspx
    No matter how much you differentiate that curriculum, if he doesn't want to do it... he isn't going to do it. I work with a child that was the identical match of yours, he had no academic records as he hadn't completed any assessments, he would refuse to do anything he didn't want to - point blank. Any persistance would lead to a meltdown as you described. Now he completes assessments, does his work (most of the time...) and life is easier for everyone involved. If any of this sounds familiar, just send me a PM and I'd be happy to share what we've changed to engage him.

5. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

This information has been a revelation to me and to this boy's mum! We are convinced this is what this child has, but sadly his psychotherapist has just dismissed the posibility, saying 'he hasn't got autsim'
    I have given his mother all the advice I can, she has visited the PDA contact forum and I've adviced she gets CAMHS to give him a DISCO test, which has PDA markers apparently.
    Unfortunately she suffers from mental heath, and is a single parent with no family support, so it's difficult for her to 'push' these matters.
    I have been implementing the strategies suggested on the PDA forum, including making less demands, more choices, over looking low level behaviour, but sadly this child appears to have cottoned on and is taking advantage enormously. When given an choice he will say 'neither' if he doesn't get what he wants he will throw chairs, tubs of stationery, bins (hitting two children recently, resulting in an exclusion for him) if I approach him when he is mid 'throw' he will attack me, kicking, spitting, biting, scratching, punching.
    Initially I felt the strategies were working, now he just thinks he can do what he wants :(