1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acute otitis externa

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by EllenDeGenerate, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Seven nights a week!
    Where on earth do you find the energy?

2. In this fantasy world, I have energy and imagination and athleticism galore!
    In real life however.......I have Mr C and a putrid ear [​IMG]

3. Were you prescribed ear drops along with the antibiotics? I used to suffer from this 4 or 5 times a year and it's absolutely horrible! I found that dabbing hydrocortisone cream inside my ear canal (poking it in gently with a cotton bud) gave some relief and if the itching was really bad then using the metal part of my car key to press on the itchy bit was really cool and soothing! Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that you *** and poke with various implements, but a little careful touching of hot itchy bits with something cold feels blumming marvelous! If you weren't prescribed any ear drops then you could ask the pharmacist for something that might bring relief.

4. I wasn't prescribed drops dinx. I have tried dabbing the hot itchy bits with an ice cube wrapped in a hankie and that does help a little.
    I was sorely tempted to use the dog's ear drops! I'm to go back to the doctor on Monday if it hasn't improved - perhaps I could ask for something to relieve the itching. The infection, and pain, has spread into my jaw and down my neck. How you coped with this 4 or 5 times a year I do not know!

5. A key is far better than an ice cube in a hankie! Thankfully I seem to have stopped getting it - haven't had a bout for at least 18 months and when I was getting it frequently it was over a 3-4 year period. I was forever to and from the GP surgery and became expert at finding ways to combat the itching and pain! Hence the keys... Hope yours clears up soon.

6. It might be better to leave it as a fantasy.
    What if it came true and you discovered his farts were worse than your dog's?

7. Hoping you will soon be feeling better OP - I could have written your post myself this time last week.

I get it very frequently, last bout was so bad the doctor has suggested grommets! If you get it frequently also this may be something you could look into?

I was given oxytetracycline antibiotics this time and they cleared it up within 48hours so maybe you could ask for a change of tablets. Doctor also gave me codeine as I couldn't manage with the pain so again a possibility for you?

I actually find something warm helps me so might be worth a try? I use one of those lavender bags you heat up in the microwave or failing that a hot water bottle would do the trick.

Hope this has helped.

8. Thanks scrummy. I am on the mend but it has taken ages! The pain has mostly gone and the ear isn't as weepy but is still blocked.
    What misery it has been - my deepest sympathies to those who get it more than once!