1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Actually got a supply day in secondary tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Jolly_Roger1, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Wow! I never expected this in June. If this comes off, it will take me up to eight days this year!

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Really? So little?! That's shocking.

I've read a few things on here about shortage of supply work, but mine has been plentiful throughout the year. It's easing off a bit now, but I'm still getting 2 days a week generally. Was on 4 days per week up until half term.

3. Jolly_Roger1

Was that primary or secondary, though? Location makes a difference too. Here in London, there seem to be too many people chasing the work.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Well done...sending prayers and best wishes for a wonderful day for you tomorrow. Let us know if you enjoy your day.

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Wonders never cease!

6. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I'm secondary English and based in the north east. There are tons of supply teachers here due to several large local secondaries merging and becoming academies, thus there are plenty of staff being made redundant. But work seems to be fairly plentiful. Even before getting my regular work at this current school I'm at, I was getting 3-4 days per week in various schools on a day-to-day basis.

I can see how London would be a difficult place to be on supply though. From my location, I can easily travel by car to North Yorkshire, all over Teesside, Darlington, County Durham, covering a pretty large square mileage.

I'm also very lucky that my agency always arranges the maximum fee for my level of experience (I'm very happy with that fee, anyway) and has excellent relationships with local schools.

7. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Good news! Hope the first of many.

8. Jolly_Roger1

@Nearmiss,Pepper5, Eva_Smith & PizzoCalabro; Thank you for your encouragement.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I honestly don't know why you bother JR with such slim pickings.

Move to the Cambridge area,you would be working every day

10. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hope it's a good school and the start of better work for you.

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Glad you've finally got some work. Let's hope it's the start of something better.

12. loveparis77

loveparis77 New commenter

Hope it's going well!

13. Jolly_Roger1

Thank you for all your best wishes but the job was cancelled. Fortunately, I had not left the house when the text came through. I thought it was too good to be true!

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Noooooo! The only bonus in that is