1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ACTUAL state of technology in schools

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellie8693, Nov 25, 2015.

1. ellie8693

ellie8693 New commenter

I'm interested to know what the state of technology and ICT is within primary schools and whether the technology available is ACTUALLY usable and accessible?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Pretty dire.
    Generally not.

3. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Fantastic. Every year group has their own ipads to access throughout the day, including Early Years. There are computer hubs between year groups including around 5-6 old computers in each one. There is also a computer room for the whole school. Teachers have access to school laptops, are given their own laptops if needed and have a computer and whiteboard in each class.

However, I work in the Early Years so how useable and accessible these resources are within the rest of the school I'm not actually sure.

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

My school is very well-equipped with iPads and Macbooks, IWBs, staff laptops, Beebots, remote control vehicles, LOGO turtles, robots (which I haven't used as too advanced for my kids). There's always some kind of computer available should you need it and the children are very good at using them all, properly, from an early age.
    My previous school had Beebots, IWBs, computers in each classroom and a very good computer suite with enough computers for each child in the class which, again, they learnt to use from an early age.

5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Current school is poor. Previous school was excellent. One of the issues is that you have to go through so many procedures to book iPads and laptops out and children are not allowed to get them or put them away on their own so they are rarely used. Screens are also old and pretty much just used as projector screens. Pains me how it's such a backward step to where my teaching was 3 years ago.

Particular strength at previous school was the curriculum though and the VLE we used and how the children were designing websites using it and creating QR codes.

6. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

Windows xp.
    12 mini ipads.
    School of 430 pupils.
    Biggest pproblem is the speed of the wireless internet. Really slow even though it was recently upgraded.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

88 pupils
    25 ipads
    22 laptops
    4 desk tops in the library for independent work
    IWB in each class, visualisers too
    beebots, roamers, logit equipment,
    staff have additional laptops and ipads for their own use

wireless internet is bloody hopeless!

8. ellie8693

ellie8693 New commenter

Thanks for all your feedback. Please could you have a look at the questions below and feedback in relation to key stage 1 & 2.

What training is there, if any, for teachers in using the technology?
    Is it easy to get technical support with the technology?
    How suitable is the software on the ipad's ect?
    How much has the new computer science curriculum changed your teaching of ICT?

Thanks!!

9. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

@ellie8693 Here's the answers to your questions.

1. In previous school we received training (an Inset day hosted by the LA) based around the new national curriculum for ICT in KS1/2, a variety of people came to showcase resources etc and lesson ideas to go along with the new curriculum for the school to buy in to. In current school there has been no specific training however there is an ICT co-ordinator and an ICT technician who are always on hand to assist.

2. ICT co-ordinator and technician are able to assist with questions, installations or fixing problems pretty much that same day.

3. The iPads are different for the year groups. EYFS have iPad minis with EYFS appropriate apps. KS1 and 2 have normal iPads with new apps installed upon request by the technician. All apps are educational and can be connected to learning in some way.

4. As I teach Early Years and already previously used beebots for inputting directions/instructions (coding) not so much, however a range of new age appropriate coding apps as a result of the new curriculum has added variety to the ICT opportunities provided at the setting.

10. nighatshaheen

nighatshaheen New commenter

Actual state of technology in Primary schools:
    As a practitioner of primary teaching lots of technology involves in teaching and learning.

11. nighatshaheen

nighatshaheen New commenter

Actual state of technology in Primary schools:
    As a practitioner of primary classes I observed that lots of technology involves in teaching and learning since two or three years. So many DT tools available in the classroom while teaching and learning. Students and teachers confidently used these equipment, However thinking points are valid here.
    • Ongoing training desire need.
    • Provision of school based technical support.
    • Appropriateness of DT integration in teaching and learning.

12. zannar

zannar New commenter

snail paced broadband. Impossible to teach an IT lesson to a class.:(

13. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Really bad. I've just taken it on as subject leader and have no budget until the new financial year so am feeling frustrated that teachers are ill equipped to deliver the computing curriculum and I am unable to support them adequately.

14. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Tech support only available one half day a fortnight