1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Activities you wouldn't survive supply without

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by TVI, Feb 22, 2009.

1. TVI

TVI

Please post any activities that you go into schools with that have often saved your sanity when you read those dreaded words "do what you like".

For Numeracy I normally do, draw a rectangle then split it into four by two squares. Then think of as many ways that you can colour it in that are different. Usually keeps the children going for a whole Numeracy session. They also love the competition element of it.
    Literacy i do tongue twisters. Start out with children brainstorming as many words as they can think of that begin with the same letter as their first name. Then pass that sheet on to another child so they can continue the list. Then give it another child who has to think of sentences using the words that are written down. Finish with the children performing their poems. The children love the comic value of writing sentences such as "Horrible Hayley hates hanging hairy haunted horses". Also includes alliteration.
    Both these activities are easy to extend and differentiate, I have done them with every primary year since Christmas and the children love both of them.
    I am really in need of some afternoon activities for KS1 and KS2. Please help.

2. Aegle

Aegle New commenter

Only on my 2nd term on supply, but I've been to so many schools now where there has been no planning left, that I have quite a list of filler activities that I have done:
    Literacy - 1. Chose favourite book to write a review. 2. Discuss what's in the news (or who's winning xfactor/Grand Prix etc) and get them to design a front cover/article of a newspaper. 3. Drama activities based on stories, eg: freeze frame/mimes 4. Comprehension exercises - read the start of any story and ask the children to answer some questions (eg: what colour was..., how old is..., who said ..... etc). 5. Always have crossword puzzles with me that I found on the internet. 6. KS1 - watch interactive story on BBC bitesize and get children to work in groups to change the ending and act it out or produce poster. 7. Random photos from stories off the internet - in groups discuss what is happening in the story, who the characters are.
    Numeracy - I look through the children's books and do something linked to what they are learning. Primaryresources have activities on almost everything.
    Art - Collages in theme shapes, santa, easter bunny etc. Portraits, drawing objects.
    Geog - Maps & Weather reports from diff countries. Children perform own weather forecast in groups (KS2)
    History - Have a few victorian & Egyptian pics. Discuss transport, clothing, location, people etc. Present their thoughts on the pic with the class.

3. Most of the time things are left but I have a list of favourites that go down well, depending on the year group.
    1) oral/mental/starter- bingo
    2) Poems- using poems about settings, find describing words for the picture and then give them a picture at their desks and they do same with partner or on own.
    3) venn diagrams, carroll diagrams and handling data.
    4) News writing
    5) Problem solving- diffferent ways of arranging ice-cream flavours, unifix cubes
    6) Using plates and unifix, find pairs of numbers to make 10/20
    7) ordering numbers games

4. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

.....................................................................................................................................................................................I am secondary and I have never come across 'do what you like' ................... does this really happen in primary schools...........????

5. Since I'm not on supply anymore so don't have to worry about going to a school to find another supply's done all my usual ideas.

Poetry - senses poems:
    Winter/Christmas/Summer/The Seaside (etc) sounds like... X smells like... X looks like... X tastes like

Character descriptions from children's books - then plenary of reading their description back and seeing if the rest of the class can guess who. More KS1-y version fairytale character guess who yes/no game (I had cards made up for this) - then draw/write a sentence or so about a character

Book blurbs/alternative book covers

X-table bingo - they write multiples of a given table on whiteboard... you call out the sums (establish rules for those cheating and rubbing out their initial numbers)

Target number challenges - ways to make a given number using a range of operations (differentiate with this - going from add and subtract, up to squaring and similar)

Dice to self-generate sums if they're available (usually are easily found) - more annoying to mark but the kids seem to like that feeling of autonomy a bit more

Word problems - in pairs write their own word problems then set the class them to answer on whiteboards.

I used to have some large coins I'd made myself, and some clear plastic zippy wallets - could play a group game where they had to make a given amount of money - extend it with challenges like "you haven't got a 5p coin" etc

Pop art - look at the Warhol Monroe screenprints - children divide a sheet of A4 into quarters and then draw a picture of themselves as identically as they can in each quarter - colour using bold unconventional colours different in each quarter.

6. Thank you for this. I am planning to use the compliments idea this afternoon. Hope to extend it by discussing compliments and insults and getting children to do freeze frames of how receiving these make them feel.