1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Activities to help YR struggling with blending/ segmenting

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Dec 18, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not sure what to say to help really. You have used all the ideas I would use. Perhaps use robot talk a fair bit to get him to hear sounds in words. 'Please put your c oa t on' and that sort of thing.

I'm surprised he is repeating phase 2 to help with this. Makes no sense to me at all. If he knows all the letter sounds from phase 2, then he could easily move on to learning the phase 3 ones while he practises the blending and segmenting.

Once this all gets boring and tedious for your son, you will be in grave danger of putting him off reading and books for ever.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Firstly he shouldn't be repeating phase 2 he needs to move on while continuing to develop blending and segmenting skills.
    I'm afraid there is no magical solution it gets a bit like Chinese water torture drip drip drip repeat repeat repeat. I would do lots of aural blending in addition to using magnetic letters So lots of "can you get the c- u-p?" "Please give me the b-oo-k" "I like to p-l-ay" "put on your h-a-t and your c-oa-t".

3. I like the idea of 'robot talk' a lot- especially as I think his hearing may be part of the prob.
    To be honest I share your concerns re repeating phase 2- I'm going to discuss with his class teacher when term starts in Jan- but if she wants him to repeat this phase I suspect I'll have to go along with this and maybe try and do some phase 3 letter sounds at home to keep him interested.
    Thanks

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Maybe look on the web for lots of phase 1 games. They are more to do with listening to sounds than reading them. Lots of fun games around and about.

Make sure you read to him as often as possible. Rhyming words and silly sound stories will all help him.

5. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

6. I've just had a nosey at this book online- will definitely get a copy of this.
    Thanks v much

7. Thanks very much everyone for taking the time to reply.
    I have to say- just 2 days into hols I've done 15 mins 4 times each day- already seeing a big improvement, so I'm hopeful of him progressing some time soon- perhaps we needed to be doing more at home than we were.
    Debbie: I will pop you an e-mail for some suggestions if that is OK. Thanks
    Mystery 10:Thanks for your suggestions. He doesn't always use 'pure' sounds which is part of the problem, so helping I'm him with that. Re his writing- he can read back what he's written in letter sounds, but can't neccesarily blend them back to words. He remembers each letter sound really quickly and reliably so at least he's got a grasp of this when he does catch on to blending a little better.
    You're also right about maintaining relationships at school- especially as I have been endlessly impressed with his class teacher so far and he absolutely loves her.