1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Activities to follow guided reading year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucye, Feb 16, 2011.

1. lucye

lucye New commenter

I have a guided reading session which is well supported by adult volunteers. The class is year 1 & quite able learners. It was suggested that I introduce a short activity after guided reading 3 times a week. Whilst this is working well, it takes a TA & myself around 45 mins each week to change all the books & set different activities ready for each group. We have reading & writing key words, comprehension activities, wordsearches etc... Trouble is now gone through so many activities that I am making up sheets myself adding to the workload.
    Does anyone have some quick simple ideas please?

2. The Phonics International programme has masses of cumulative, decodable reading material - which can also be used for spelling, comprehension, handwriting, dictation etc - and learning spelling word banks for various spelling alternatives.
    It took me a huge amount of time to make these resources. Teachers cannot be expected to turn, for example, Letters and Sounds into a viable programme.

3. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

My Year 1s used to enjoy finding words with the digraph we were covering that week (e.g. ow) in books from the story box - they wrote them on individual whiteboards and we had a quick look at what they had found at the end of the session. We did not use 'school reading books' for this activity.
    We also used topic related books sometimes instead e.g books about homes or castles so they could see where they cropped up in non-fiction too.
    I put a selection of books on the table for them to choose from, so that it wasn't a free for all in the book corner and meant that they weren't always looking at the same books.

4. lucye

lucye New commenter

Thanks so much Miss Bangles! This link has given me lots more ideas, for activities.

5. inq

inq

Mine love Boggle (not with the timer) and hen there's loads of combinations without photocopying.