1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Activities to fill a day with my new class...Help - it's my first teaching post!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ido-ilearn, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Just completed PGCE and secured job for Sept and just found out that I will spend a whole day next week with my new class! No format been given by the school - just told to prepare a full day of activities. I have not seen topics that they have studied or will study (that will be given later so not much time to prepare) I had a few ideas: a focus on skills for learning (active and passive games and problem solving), an end-to-end science investigation, or thinking about "self and others" (description, illustration, sharing/drama, etc)...this is a year 4 moving to year 5 class...
    Has anyone got anything tried and tested that may fill a day, be useful and/or informative for me and them and be fun and creative too? Thanks.

2. How about an all about me book? Likes, dislikes, what they're looking forward to (and possibly what not!) That way you can get to know the children. Maybe some maths games, circle time games (swapping seat kind of games, eye contact games etc). An art activity always seems to go down well too!

3. Thanks - some great ideas - I really want some, relaxed fun activities so I can spend time getting to know them and what they can/like to do without the pressure of too much academic focus...

4. Ask them to do a self-portrait (tell them it will help you to match names to faces!). You can then put them up on the wall ready for the start of term -- nice easy display and the children will like having something of 'theirs' in their new classroom right from the start.

5. I'm going to get my new class to write acrostic poems based on their names, then decorate them ready for display.

6. dc521

dc521 New commenter

Try this for a structure to the day
    At the start, set the rules / expectations for your class. Hands up, sitting sensibly etc. Don't tolerate on transfer day things that you wont put up with full time. You wont know (as such) who to sit where so 'trust' the class and be prepared to move children ASAP!
    Lesson 1: All about me.
    Share with the class information about yourself (info like how to spell your name, some of your likes and interests that you are happy with children to know). Get them to complete a mini biography / information sheet about themselves.
    Lesson 2: Maths investigation?
    I've often used an open ended investigation (practical) to see how they work. Very telling!
    Lesson 3: Art
    Self portrait. Easiest way to assess skills / emotional maturity.
    Lesson 4: PE
    Something simple like realy races are a great way to 'bind a class together and you can also set the ground rules for PE from the start.
    If your school has a major topic that you will be teaching that you want to incorporate to the lessons, I'd ditch the Maths one and instead AfL what the children do / don't know.
    My moto on transfer day: Break them in and keep it simple!

7. Wow@dc521 so many ideas- I have planned a biography exercise to kick off. I love the maths and art suggestions and will check about the PE provision on that day... I really appreciated the advice about setting expectations for that day and for the new year with behaviour, etc it feels like changeover day should be different but you are right - it's not....thanks a lot for all your help!

8. dc521

dc521 New commenter

All part of the service. The reason why I use the above structure is simple: I can easily adapt to the class and also 'settle' them into my way of working. Also, I can set them off, stand abck and watch to see what happens.
    Change over day is actually a day for you to see what you are teaching and gague the emotional and mental maturity of your class. You might have children's levels and academic ability information given to you but you have to see how they 'work' to understand how to teach them.