1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Activities ideas for confinement adaptable in a foreign language

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cathr, Mar 25, 2020.

1. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

Hoping to use your expertise! My 5 y.o. grand daughter is English speaking at home but goes to school in a French speaking environment as she is schooled in Switzerland. Her French is not as fluent as her English but she easily string sentences which would challenge GCSE MFL students.

As she is confined at home, I have started a daily 20 minutes video-conference with short French speaking activities and games (I am a native speaker). The idea is to keep her French going so that the ground made since she started reception in September, is not lost. We are treating the 20 minutes slot as a bonding exercise as I am not sure when I am going to be able to travel to see her again. I am therefore not looking for websites or TV programs, just a real exchange between the two of us (and her mother in the background to help).
    So far we have done directed drawings, beetle game, grouping words according to their initial sound, odd one out and today a very successful volcano with vinegar and baking soda. I am running out of ideas!! The Swiss don't push literacy skills very hard at this age so she does not know her alphabet fully yet and is struggling with the concept of matching letter to sounds.

Any ideas gratefully received!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Can you do some cooking with her? Even making a sandwich?
    Read her a story in French?
    Play a board or card game?

3. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

4. cathr

Thank you Caterpillar. I have tried books but we are using whatsapp on phones as the systems on my laptop are not coping and the screen is very small. W. can't not see the pictures and quickly loses interest. Ideas for board games/ card games is what I am looking for.
    Thank you. I'll pass that on. Lots of lovely books.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ohhh okk. Can you use skype on a screen?
    Or set up microsoft teams...the world and his wife are using these it seems!

Whatever board games you have will be fine.
    If you both have a dice and one of you moves round the board for both people it works well enough.
    For pairs type games one of you tells the other which cards to turn.

cathr likes this.
  6. cathr

Skype does not work:( but you're right I'll try some traditional board game with dice. Yesterday we played a 'ladder' game with a hand drawn ladder which worked well but maybe I'll find a simple snake and ladders in a supermarket, fingers crossed! I get the weekend off thank goodness!

7. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I often use Zoom with my girlfriend on my phone. It means she can share my screen and translate things for me. Worth a try.

Something like pictionary might be fun. Or charades. Some classic party games allowing you to lead it in any direction.

cathr likes this.