1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Activities for use with marked mock exam papers

Discussion in 'Science' started by ams225, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Hi,

This is my first posting on TES. I am a PGCE student and am finding it difficult to think of an activity that I can use with my year 11 students. They have all completed a past exam paper which has been marked, and I wanted to find a good activity to use them with when I hand them out.
    They are a lower ability group, who find it difficult to concentrate on tasks, so I wanted to try something more engaging than just handing out the papers and going through any commonly wrong answers.

Any ideas of advice would be greatly appreciated

2. I often create a traffic light evaluation sheet to go with marked papers. Dissect every question into its individual parts, e.g. explaining why temperature affects the rate of a reaction, interpreting graphs etc. For each part, they have to colour in the next column green, amber or red depending on how they did, if it's amber or red - they write down what they needed to do to get the question right. At the end, a section to write their weaker areas to focus revision on.
    It focuses them on what they need to improve on and is useful for you as a teacher as a quick visual reference to whole class areas of weakness. I have done this from Year 7 up to Year 13 and usually works well.

3. SNAP
    I also transfer the whole question marks to a spreadsheet, convert them to % of possible mark then colour code (conditional formatting - 80+% = green,40-% = red) to see which questions were well done, which pupils did badly on specific qs etc. It looks very impressive for parent's evenings and allows you to see where your efforts need to be concentrated.