1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Activities for length comparison??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sarbon, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Hello!
    Just planning some reception psrn activities for developing children's language and understanding of length/size. Does anyone have any exciting ideas for outdoor activities? I 've only thought of chalk lines/snakes on floor to compare and getting kids to line up to make lines of different lengths. If anyone has any ideas (indoor ones too would be welcomed also!) I'd be very grateful.
    Thanks.[​IMG]

2. Hello!
    Just planning some reception psrn activities for developing children's language and understanding of length/size. Does anyone have any exciting ideas for outdoor activities? I 've only thought of chalk lines/snakes on floor to compare and getting kids to line up to make lines of different lengths. If anyone has any ideas (indoor ones too would be welcomed also!) I'd be very grateful.
    Thanks.[​IMG]

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Just a couple of ideas:
    • ********** has good playdough mats - making long/short snakes
    • give children a box of duplo and a dice (a big foam one is more fun). They take in turns rolling the dice, collect that number of bricks, and make a tower. Talk about whose tower is taller/shorter. (I know that technically one dice is a die, but it always seems a bit strange to write/say that)
    • give children a long strip of sugar paper each and they have to go round the classroom/outdoor area finding things that are longer/shorter than the paper. Doesn't sound very exciting, but they loved it last year.
    • If it stays sunny, there should be plenty of shadows next week. Mark a spot on the playground, get a child to stand on the spot and draw around their shadow. Go out at different times of the day and see how the length of the shadow changes.

4. donna4249

donna4249 New commenter

I give my children a length of ribbon andthey have to go out side and find things that are . longer /shorter. If they are able they love having a clipboard to record what they find or you could photo things.

5. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Do you have any trees?
    We read the snail and the whale in the summer, we also watched mini clips of a whale from the national geographic channel on our IWB this got the wow factor as when it came out of the water all the children went moved as if on a roller coaster and went wowwwwwwwwwwwww.
    Anyway using those meausreing wheels and chalk, we drew the length of a whale on the playground, then compared other items to it. It certainly is good for giving a real visual understanding of length. get kids to estimate how many of their footstepslong they think it will be. \how many cubes long do they think it will be?
    You could take a variety of objects outside for children to order by length, maybe before you could get them to estimate what they think wil be the longest.
    measure your classroom with string or whatever around the perimeter, then lay it outside and see how long it would be get the children to count it using footsteps

6. Thanks guys, that's a great help. I love these forums!
    Going to find the snail and the whale book now....[​IMG]

7. I've done an activity where I buried treasure and we got a letter/ message from a pirate to ask us to find treasure that was the same length as..... We then got digging, searching the playground, sandpit etc to find the treasure. We sorted the treasure we found into shorter than the same as (i.e. suitable for the pirate - this went into the treasure chest) and longer than. I just printed images of gold bars, necklaces etc etc...also used some real necklaces I found in charity shop...buried them in the flower bed so chn has to really dig, in sand pit, and general around the playground. Great fun, chn were really excited and all took part. Gave opportunities for some very goods obs and vocab development.

Love the other ideas given, will be using them myself. :)