1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Activities for children not attending y6 residential

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Hexam3, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Hexam3

Hexam3 New commenter

Hi,

I'm working in Year 6 and I'll be looking after the children who are not going on the three day residential. There are quite a lot of children staying behind so I wondered if anyone has any advice on good activities/projects?

Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I regularly 'stayed behind' with those not going on a residential.
    I used to do some of the things they'd be doing on the residential, so they didn't miss out, even if they didn't see things 'in the flesh' and that's so much easier now with the net.
    We also did things like cooking and 'bigger DT projects which we normally didn't have time for.

Hexam3, sunshineneeded and MissKitCat like this.
  3. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

When Year 6 went on a residential we organised a couple of free trips and when at school were off timetable so were able to teach other lessons when we would normally teach our literacy and numeracy.

Hexam3 and sunshineneeded like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I've also looked after those who didn't go several times and done exactly as above. I usually have one 'paid' trip, to the cinema or theatre, and a few freebies. Have also managed to organise a trip to a local secondary school where some of our ex y6s showed them round - they really enjoyed that.

Hexam3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Hexam3

Hexam3 New commenter

Great suggestions, thank you!! Much appreciated.

6. h001

h001 New commenter

An arty harry potter based project.

7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Free trips: geocaching in local country park, cooking outside (even better if you have your own forest school with a fire pit), science and DT practicals/hands-on activities, supermarket challenge - can they plan, budget and buy ingredients to create a healthy picnic lunch for four children with £1 per head?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.