1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Activities for a picture book!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hayley1611, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Help!
    I have been asked to teach a literacy lesson based around one of these four books:
    Handa's Surprise
    The Rainbow Fish
    Were going on a bear hunt
    Peace at Last (Jill Murphy)

If anybody has any ideas for activites related to one of these books that would be great! I have 16 yr1 pupils and only 45 mins! xxx

2. Help!
    I have been asked to teach a literacy lesson based around one of these four books:
    Handa's Surprise
    The Rainbow Fish
    Were going on a bear hunt
    Peace at Last (Jill Murphy)

If anybody has any ideas for activites related to one of these books that would be great! I have 16 yr1 pupils and only 45 mins! xxx

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. inq

inq

Is this for an interview?
    Which book do you prefer?
    What would you like to do?
    Post some ideas and people will offer loads of help.

5. The only idea I really had was to do some sort of drama activity related to one of these books but then I wasnt entirely sure what the children would get out of it?!

6. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

I've done a hot seat type thing with the Rainbow Fish. I chose a fairly confident speaker to be the Rainbow Fish and they wore a really sparkly piece of fabric as a cloak. She sat in the middle and the rest of the class asked questions which she answered in character. The only problem is the children have to know the story really well and you need to know the children in order to pick a confident one. Perhaps won't work in an interview situation??
    You could do an oral retelling of the Bear Hunt with actions. I've also done an obstacle course linked to it.

7. inq

inq

Why not look at some of the speaking and listening objectives and see what drama you could do to achieve that and then see which book it fits with. If this is an interview lesson think about how someone is going to recognise progression in your lesson.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've done the Bear Hunt where small groups of children go off and collect bits and bobs to represent a given 'obstacle' from the story. When they come back together later we retell the story and they show their creation at the relevant time and make a suitable noise.

LO something about being familiar with story language, can't remember the exact phrase.

9. After reading 'We're Going on a Bear Hunt' you could discuss the last wordless page of the book where the bear walks sadly into the distance. My children (Reception though) really liked doing this and were very surprised to realise that the bear might have just wanted to be friends with the family. We then got a letter from the bear asking the children what they thought he should do next and they all wrote back to him with ideas for making friends.
    Hope that's helpful..
    Good luck [​IMG]