1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Activites for pupils who use standing frames - pmld pupils

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by boxesformsmarking, Sep 13, 2011.

1. boxesformsmarking

boxesformsmarking New commenter

I have 3 pupils pupils who use standing frames on a daily basis. I was wondering if anyone had any activity suggestions/ time fillers they do with similar pupils. They are working about P2.

2. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Do you have an interactive whiteboard? I don't have any current standing frame users but previously I've found that they're at a great height for whiteboard activities when in their frames. Do the frames have trays? If so its a great opportunity for lots of fine/gross motor skills activites - shaving foam on the tray, a good massage etc.

3. nearly_there

nearly_there New commenter

Our pupils in standing frames just do whatever it was that we had planned to do (where possible). However our pupils do have trays on their frames so it is easier to give them resources. One boy didn't have a tray so we just had an ordinary plastic tray to hold his bits and bobs on.

4. I stand all my pupils at the same time each day and they just do whatever lesson we are in. But I would suggest they are excellent opportunities for working on key skills targets like holding eye contact, light tracking and passing to another person- we do use the Profound Curriculum key skills and have a target skill for each half term that weave into all subject areas to focus on though, so I try and ensure that every pupil has individual focused tasks to do if there is any filler time. Another activity we have found amazing for some of the pupils (all p 1-3) is hanging a ball from the ceiling and then the student can use a bat to bang it. It's fab for raising arms and motor control, plus you see lots of giggles, especially if the ball has bells inside :)

5. We only have one student at the moment who uses a standing frame and he uses it outside lessons (we are a residential home attached to a school) so he just plays around with trains on his tray or plays Catch with staff but, when I have seen students with standing frames in other schools, they have things like shape sorting exercises but that was usually out of lesson time as well so I'm not sure what would work really-probably not very helpful at all, am I?! The other suggestions are good though.