1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Active/working PE teachers after 60?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by stopwatch, Aug 3, 2017.

?

How old is the oldest active PE teacher that you have known?

1. Under 45

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 45-49

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. 50 - 54

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 55 - 60

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Over 60

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

When I was 12 (a very long time ago) and decided to be a PE teacher (like my Dad) my biggest target was to be still physically and actively teaching PE up to 50. As time went on, I figured 60 was a better target.

Well I got there a couple of months ago and I am still teaching PE full time as well as coaching after school up to 9 hours a week. I will be finishing for good next July at 61 years old and returning to UK - I have taught overseas since 2001 after doing 21 years Secondary teaching in UK from 1980.

I started to wonder how many other 'well seasoned athletes' there are out there teaching full time PE and also who the oldest might be.

Do you know anybody, lets say past 55 and still teaching PE? How are they doing? Have they kept up with the times or are they cantankerous old b****rs who bemoan every new idea and approach? do they still keep up with the physical side of teaching PE?

Just thought I would throw it out there :);)o_O

2. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

No. Most convert to other subjects I have found.