1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Active mental maths starter ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellie28, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Can anyone suggest any active mental starters suitable for Year 1/2 age group. Got a high SEN/behavioural problem group.
    Thanks

2. inq

inq

I've taken mine outside letr them run round (small area not whole playground) blown whistle and shouted a number and they have to get into groups of that size they then race to sit, I then shout double/ half and they have to double/halve group size and they race to be sat down in correct group size They started running again. Having shouted 4, halve, 2, double they have started to realise the link between double and half. We have easy access to an outside area but I suppose it could be done - without the running - in a classroom.

3. Thanks inq, I really like that one!
    Any more nice ideas?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Songs with numbers are good, esecially if there are actions for the children to do. Five little speckled frogs, Ten green bottles type.