1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Active Learning on a new topic.

Discussion in 'English' started by jaimexuk, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jaimexuk

jaimexuk New commenter

Hi, I am an AT and would like some advice on 'active learning' strategies that I can use when teaching a new topic.
    I have Teacher's Toolkit, in which I have found useful activities to use with pupils once they have been introduced to a topic. However, I need some ideas that I can use to introduce pupils to a brand new topic, such as Chaucer (I'm an English AT). A lot of the activities I've come across need the pupils to have at least some prior knowledge or ideas about the topic in hand

Any strategies would be greatly welcomed.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Be careful with 'Teacher's Toolkit' - it needs reading with a cynical eye.
    I love teaching Chaucer and you should find that they do 'the medieval village' in history, so I suggest talking to a history teacher before you do anything else. If they have done it, why not get each of them to tell a story about their lives, then link it with one or two of the pilgrims and their tales?
    I do a lot on language and spelling, too.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I have a download I received from a 3rd party. I'm happy to share if you PM me. I'd add it to the Resource Bank but it's not mine.