1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

action plan tp improve GCSE resultsEnglish

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by MissTrouble, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Any ideas? Head not happy and wants blood.
    Feel we are being pushed to improve results to satisfy league tables and he odes not appreciate the hard work we did to get this year's results.
    PS-I am a people person but accept data can be useful

2. You need to do an honest audit of why this years results did not meet target (I assume that is the case and not that the Head just wants more than the students are capable of).
    Once you have identified the problems you can start to come up with some ideas for addressing them and the resources required to achieve this.

3. bonjovifan35

bonjovifan35 New commenter

Analyse your data to identify if any specific group underachieved, i.e. by gender, by class, by teacher, EAL, AGT, etc

Identify any students who did do well - why was this? Did any particular teacher do better - what was it they did?

Use the results analysis tools provided by the exam board to identify components/units where students did better or worse; or even specific questions.

Investigate to see if there are courses run to help understand the new specs and/or controlled assessment.

not saying this is the answer, but some startign points. Good luck!

4. Don't worry; I know how you feel. I had an excellent audit document from my LA English Consultant last year. PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

5. Create an excel spreadsheet with the whole year group and breakdown the A0s. Then colour code students red- amber - green against each point. Makes weaknesses within the year group, and individual classes obvious. Teaching can then be tailored to address those needs and then reassess so that you can demonstrate to SLT the move forward.

This also helps with discussions with students.

6. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

I've also PMd you, hope you don't mind me being cheeky and asking for the document too, would really help me out at the moment.
    Thanks [​IMG]

7. Hi Vitet - would you send it to me too please?

allgubbins@gmail.com

8. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Data data data.

Get everything tracked & if you can converted to UMS on last series boundaries.

Look at dept - where are the GCSE strengths? Does anyone do exam marking (if not would they - it is INVALUABLE - even if only as a one off).

Identify those you CAN do something with - KS2 level 3s, EAL, SEN, C/D borderline A/A*, have a clear group to work on and use your team to plan intervention work & deliver it together. It has to be a team working together or it won't work.

Also, get the kids onside. do an assembly, promote this work and effort you're putting in, and ask that they do the same in return and you can help them. Share the numbers with them & show how it is achievable. Involve parents too, support from all sides (team, pupils, parents SLG) will hold it all together.

Good Luck!