1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Action Fraud

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Feb 27, 2019.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I have just tried to report a scam telephone number to Action Fraud. https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/scam-phone-call-warning --- the police website.

Has anybody else tried this. I accept that one would need to give personal details to make sure the report is not malicious, but the sign in and log in procedures just went on and on, that I simply gave up in the end. I have been at my computer for 45 mins and still got no where near somewhere to post the telephone number.

Good idea, daft implementation.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The fuzz are too busy to bother with any petty crimes. They have far too many high visibility stabbings to investigate. Sadly, this is the truth.

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have reported numbers a couple of times. I don't rememeber it being especially onerous.
    There are some other websites to report on, though they are not police ones. Maybe worth doing too?
    I hope you were not caught out?

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

You don't have to register to report it, you can report it as a guest.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I can promise you that bitter experience means I know how the police spend their time, and it is not sensible or efficient.

I have reported things to Action Fraud. It's not worth it. They're not interested.

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

That was the problem. I used to just google either the number I had got off 147 if available or "who called me?" and a load of websites would appear to at least register the number and hopefully build up a list of the problem numbers but also register how much of this goes on. However, when I did that this time I had over two pages of "Action Fraud" and consumer web sites giving information that simply amounted to "don't fall for it". I could not find the old "who called me?" sites. So I thought the "Action Fraud" page was the way to go. -- Disappointing.

Thanks for your concern. I wasn't caught out though. I think that we should all make a fuss about these things. They are really more than irritating because somebody must be making money out of them for there to be so many attempts at it. And of course it is the vulnerable people who fall for the scams and we try to protect them as much as possible, so we should include telephone scams as a problem.

mothorchid likes this.
  7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I have great sympathy for the police on the ground. When I was a councillor and also a member of several community groups we always had the police spending their valuable time coming along to the meetings to give us a report on recent crime figures and what they were doing. I heard their report several times during the week. And this was from an officer acting up in rank. Also our town had 3 Sergeants responsible for the town centre in the 90's and now only has one. Everything is going down hill.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I think with such things there are so many and it is so difficult to address them (hence they are still common) that it is the weight of numbers of reporting's that determine which ones are investigated.

Last time I reported a number to the TPS, before I got to the reporting page I had a list of possible types of calls to tick first, I remember "oven cleaning services" was one of them, I'd had calls about this, though this was not what I was reporting.

The scammers seem to have changed their tactics from regular low-level over weeks or months to intense multiple calls over a few days, presumably to get what they can before reports build sufficiently for action to be taken.

The last flurry we had were pretending to be from BT telling me my line was to be cut later that day. The obviously American accent was a dead give away, I had to block half a dozen different numbers before they stopped. I suspect the next step in the arms race will be a message in a British accent, although I have heard that they sometimes make fairly obvious "errors" so they catch the more gullible and don't waste time on those who eventually see through the scam before completion.

TCSC47 likes this.
  9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Those were the actual ones I was trying to report. I didn't have an american accent but a clear computer voice.