1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

'Acting up' for a sick colleague - do I have the right to ask for extra pay?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Lancastriana, Jun 23, 2011.

  1. I am currently deaputy head of year - purely on a voluntary, experience gaining basis but recently was asked to cover for a sick colleagueas head of year. I was under the impression that it would be be for a fortnight or so, but I am now approaching the fourth week.
    I am of course grateful for the experience, but ultimately my job is just as a subject teacher and my role should be focused on my classroom teachin. Instead, I am finding that I am spending quite a lot of my time (PPA and gained time during which I should be doing gained time tasks requested my my dept head) dealing with year related stuff (which is oftenm very time consuming) I have also managed to wind up doing some of the head of year reports - I did say I would (but kind of felt that I should... if you know what I mean), but now I am finding it veryhard to fit them in without having midnighters every night!
    In short., I don't want to rattle any cages, but I do feel like I want to approach someone about 1) how much longer I may be doing this for and 2) if I will be paid for it?
    Where do you think I might stand?
    thanks in advance for your advice
  2. tomjones79

    tomjones79 New commenter

    Speak to your union rep. You defintiely should be being paid for this as you are undertaking that role. It is also reasonable to ask how long this may be for. The union rep. should be able to ask on your behalf if you feel uncomfortable.
  3. Thanks for your reply Tomjones79. I do feel a little uncomfortable asking and would of course ask my rep for assistance...my only prob is there's not NUT rep at my school! (which has also incidentally caused some probs in organising what's happening on Thurs 30th!)
  4. mpc


    I think you should talk to your line manager. You've 'acted up' for a short time but, if this situation is to continue, it's worth finding out what your school has in mind. What have you got to lose by asking?
    Good luck!
  5. trinity0097

    trinity0097 New commenter

    Perhaps even if they can't sudedntly magic up some money they could get you a day off to write the reports or something, or a couple of extra frees using someone else's gained time. Perhaos your HOD could also not get you to do subject tasks?
  6. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    I think it better to speak to your manager rather than union in the first instance. Going to the union might be seen as confrontational, even though you don't intend it to be. It is still an option if you can't get it sorted by the informal approach.
  7. tomjones79

    tomjones79 New commenter

    Good advice from all. Best if you can informally sort it first before union. Very worrying that a union as big as NUT has no rep. this is where having one helps to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen. You can still call union area for advice though.

Share This Page